An interesting study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
Study is about teaching divers how to use Doppler ultrasound with sufficient reliability - Study Report - this could be quite interesting for diving in the future - particularly for expedition diving. I wonder how much a simple set of gear costs?

There is the Azoth O'Dive O'Dive - The first connected sensor for personalised dives

Measurements are taken 30 and 60 minutes after a dive, that would be difficult for me to do in SE Florida, where my SIs are generally about 45 minutes. It is possible that analyzing a large number of submissions to Azoth Systems, including a reasonable number of DCS cases, might shed some light on risk for DCS.

DAN Project Dive Exploration analyzed over 122,000 dive computer profiles in an attempt to gain insight into DCS. There were only 38 cases of DCS in the database and analysis was quite limited

Bubble grading is an 'art' not a science. But with the rapid improvements with GPT software, I agree with you that future diving advanced equipment combined with on-dive-site data collection will bring alot of new information for the 'triggers' of DCS.

Bubble grading is an 'art' not a science. But with the rapid improvements with GPT software, I agree with you that future diving advanced equipment combined with on-dive-site data collection will bring alot of new information for the 'triggers' of DCS.
I can see the method / information they gained being useful where someone has had something go wrong on a dive - e.g. a rapid ascent - a simple method like this which requires relatively short & simple training could enable early information to be obtained giving a warning of that diver developing DCS symptoms over the next few hours.

It might be a good tool in the proper hands. My concern would be divers relying on it for reassurance: I didn't see bubbles therefore what I'm feeling can't be DCS and/or this aggressive decompression profile I did works just fine.

Best regards,
DDM

It might be a good tool in the proper hands. My concern would be divers relying on it for reassurance: I didn't see bubbles therefore what I'm feeling can't be DCS and/or this aggressive decompression profile I did works just fine.

Best regards,
DDM
Its probably not for your average recreational diver, but might be useful for expeditions or similar, or divers in a working environment.

I started using a Huntleigh Dopplex fetal monitor 30 years ago to grade VGE. Karl Huggins taught me how to grade. It is definitely as much art as science. The results have informed my choices about deco and, in some cases, whether to do another dive or take the afternoon off.

As for giving false assurance, that is a possibility, but any tool can be mis-used and a reason for quality training rather than avoidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom