An intersting article on where your market seafood comes from...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the underlying premise is that the Earth's resources in some way collectively belong to all of Earth's citizens. We are all stakeholders in planet Earth. Maybe there are ways for consumers to influence what happens to resources in another country's waters.

Like so many other things in this world: You can lead a fish to water but you can't make them swim [see what I did there]. Being the worlds policeman makes others resent you, usually resulting in the opposite of your intended effect.
You must treat them like a kid. If they are smart enough they will figure it out on their own. If they are not smart enough, they will learn the hard way.

I don't think it's fair to categorize any measurable percentage of SB members as absolutely anti-hunting. Heck, there are some that seem to be all for hunting and even poaching on some threads. If someone wants to hunt to feed themselves and friends / family a fresh meal, I'm totally fine with that, as long as they're not shooting sharp pointy spears while I'm in the water! I do have a problem with those who bend the rules and interpret them to suit themselves, like possession limits on lobster, or worse, bragging on Facebook about getting lobster after being on a multiyear probation for violating F&G regulations due to confusion, misunderstanding, naivety, or just plain stupidity.

As far as the article referenced, I don't think seafood is any different than most any other food source. The reality is nobody really wants to know where their food comes from, they just want it to appear. Just like electricity, water, gasoline, or inexpensive clothing and shoes. Never mind the ecological impact it took to supply the item, or the cost in human terms. It's certainly not in the interest of any supplier to let consumers peek behind the curtain to see all the dark, unpleasant secrets. Even plant based food consumption isn't immune from the problems, as GMO plants and various pesticides and chemicals create their own problems. The "civilized" world is based on just having everything available, and not worrying about how

Ultimately the blame is everywhere, the suppliers, the consumers, and the media and government. All bend the rules, turn their heads and ignore a lot of inconvenient truths. At some point, the environment will reach a tipping point and something has to give. Maybe keeping a torch and pitchfork handy to fend off all the others in a post-apocalyptic world is the solution, and in the mean time continue to chow down on as much seafood as possible, no matter where it comes from or how it's obtained

Maybe the world police can shoot torpedoes at boats like the one in the article. Problem solved?

Being a member of a mob can be fun, I keep a torch and pitchfork in my garage so I don't miss any.
Thanks, made me chuckle.

We need a citation on the elasticity of offshore Somalia food fish populations with respect to fish harvest levels off the US coasts. Some species are international w/respect to the US... most not, or barely. We also need a citation on the effect of fishing take of pelagic species at the top of the food chains, like tuna or sharks, on productivity of local food species.

In the meantime, here's how we're doing here. NOAA 2013 Status of Stocks report

Although I stopped all hunting and fishing back around 1975, my blood does not boil when I read of others who do so legally for food. Of course "sport" hunting and fishing is quite different IMHO. Poaching turns my stomach, especially when done in protected areas. Good spearos target fish they want to eat and are able to estimate the size of their catch underwater. IMHO that is much better than accepting the word 9f a corporation that the fish you buy in a supermarket wrapped in saran is "sustainable."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom