An issue with the digital compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It shouldnt do that or there should be a way to get it back. I would check the manual, but you know what they day one is none, two is one, and three is just right. I feel the same about computers, I always dive with atleast one back up.

Just out of curiosity, can I ask if Jax and Tim are using a digital compass for navigation?

My primary computer is a Sol.

Tapatalk by Droid

It shouldnt do that or there should be a way to get it back. I would check the manual, but you know what they day one is none, two is one, and three is just right. I feel the same about computers, I always dive with atleast one back up.

I looked through the manual. Oddly I think it does save the bearings because it shows them on the SmartTrak software, but the wrist computer has no way to retrieve them, unless someone knows a way not documented in the manual.

I'm using the SK7 on my left wrist and it will be my main compass, and the digital just to play with or as a backup. It's just too easy to accidentally delete a bearing. If someone does use the digital bearing for critical navigation I'd recommend making a mental note of the bearing number or writing it down on a slate.

The other issues with the digital compass are that you have to hold your elbow at right angle, it takes up valuable space on the computer display, and it uses the battery at higher rate.

Adam

even in my home computer I get a warning before a file is deleted and even after deletion I can get it back. Adam

Yeah, you gotta love the " are you sure " ? prompt. It usually slows me down just enough to give it a second thought.
While electronic devices are a wonderful thing, the analog compass may be something that at least for diving is best
when kept simple.

Last edited:
You have to bend your elbow.
Are you serious. How would you look at an SK7 wrist mount?
and it uses the battery at higher rate.
Had mine for 18 months,approx 150dives and use it every dive with the compass and it is still over 95%. How long do you need the batter to last?

Maybe you need to remove it from your wrist and fit the supplied lanyard holder so you don't have to bend your elbow so much and that way you will be able to see the screen with the big letters that says ''SET'' for the compass.

Last edited:
If you are on course and press the middle button it will reset it to exactly what it was before. I agree this is a diver issue as this is clearly covered in the computer manual. More importantly, I do not use the compass function of my dive computers and prefer analog because it is easier to use and I can look at both at the same time. It may not be what you like but it is what it is and you will have to adjust to the functions of the computer that you use if you want to continue to use the compass mode.

Are you serious. How would you look at an SK7 wrist mount?

Had mine for 18 months,approx 150dives and use it every dive with the compass and it is still over 95%. How long do you need the batter to last?

Maybe you need to remove it from your wrist and fit the supplied lanyard holder so you don't have to bend your elbow so much and that way you will be able to see the screen with the big letters that says ''SET'' for the compass.

Funny how you can change my meaning by leaving out a couple of words. The correct statement is: you have to bend your elbow at right angle. The reason is the lubber line is set at right angle to the forearm and it's fixed. In my analogue compass I've rotated the lubber line so it points forward with the elbow at a more relaxed angle. Ironically it should be easier to rotate the virtual lubber line of the digital compass as it's simply a programming issue to offer this.

Regarding the battery use by the digital compass, from page 23 of the manual 2.4.2: ... When in compass mode, Galileo uses more battery energy than normal, so it is desirable to have the computer switch back to regular configuration after a certain time interval. The menu allows you to set this time interval between 5 to 30 secs or to push on/off...

Also if there is any warning or alarm, the compass is removed. In other words the compass uses more energy and also it ends up being turned on and off during the dive. These are all issues you never have to consider with the analogue compass, it's taken for granted that when you look at the left wrist the compass will be there. Not so with this digital compass.

By the way, reading the manual and being expert at it will not stop the bearing from being erased if you accidentally press the middle button in compass mode.

Adam

Adam, I'll break from the pack here, and say that I understand your frustration.

My typical use for a compass on my body (I use the scooter compass for all the multi-leg navigation during the dive) is:

Get in water, take a look at the course out.
Set compass bezel.
Forget about compass.
Pull it out at end of dive for reference about return course.

I'd be upset, too, if I pulled out my return reference, was cold and clumsy and simply tapped the wrong button. C'mon, folks, it's easy to point to user error or lack of brains or whatever, but a system that makes it easy to make a big mistake has a poorly engineered interface.

All the best, James

It only turnes the compass off so you can see what the warning is because when the compass is on you only see basic information. It is nothing to do with the power usage. Like I said, I have used it for 18months with no issues on the battery usage. (Ask the same to a MARES Icon user)
Use the computer more and get used to it. It does work well.

In the interests of complete disclosure, I use two SK-7 compasses each dive, one on the wrist, one on the scooter. My X1 does have a nice electronic compasss, which I never use because I'm lazy. It's too much work to tap a couple of times to get to it.

...As an aside, these may be my last SK-7's unless Suunto gets their act together and makes them work for more than a year. I am tired of having the frickin' thing lock up at depth.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom