an open invitation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok anyone who wants to dive in a freshwater lake in Arizona with viz anywhere from none to 15' water temp 65 to 75 air temp 105+ and are a member of the board let me know. It will give you a chance to remember why it is better to dive in the saltwater.

Actually, one of these days, i'd really like to do the Colorado River with Drew's Dam Divers. I hear that is a blast.

Any decent telephone-fishing in that thar freshwater lake?

Hey Fishkiller,
The water conditions sound great to me--not keen on the air temp though(been there done that) Never been in salt water. What gives with the lake you are referring to?

At Canyon Lake where there is actual shore line that's not crowed by people. A bench to use during the SI.

I did a few dives at Saguaro Lake where the shop I was with said was bad viz but better that any other lake. you geared up at a Ramada then walked/hiked down to the water. On a good day the viz is 7 feet. After surfacing your shore entry point now has a jet ski on it and the ramada was taken over by another family.

I went to another shop and went on a dive with them. The first dives were from the only Dive boat on the lake a 24' pontoon, and the location was great. The trip out you could see mountian goats. The dive spot where when the boat was anchored you'd drop into a spot that's 10' deep about 20'by 15 foot then as you head out you pass between the canyon walls about 4' wide as it descends to 45 to 50 feet depth, like a reverse funnel, into a large area, dark but the viz is atleast 10' or more a small light helps. To explore there is a tree called the "Christmas Tree" because of all the anchors stuck there, when the light hits it right sparkles, along with catfish bass bluegill and green sunfish.

The last few dives I have done have been from the shore, a picnic area with mowed grass and tables shade trees, a few ants. Gear up and walk to the water a few feet away after about 20 yards the depth is 15 feet silty bottom, at the no boat bouy the depth changes more drasticaly with a rocky bottom, a ledge that drops a few feet as you can continue across the lake bottom, if the ocassionally boat overhead doesn't bother you.
max depth is 50 feet. I have seen bass, carp and a few blue gills.

I'm a "weeny,wimpy" warm, salt water diver. Haven't been in fresh water since my certification dives 12 years ago in a lake in CT... wish I did my cert dives at Canyon Lake! Casey

Fish killer, Might be heading your way in August. are you around the Tucson area? I have a job to do down there Might get some time to play.

I live in Tucson and have been up to Apache lake quite a bit to do some wake boarding and the usual partying....but never been to Canyon lake....i might have to try it out some time and see what the diving conditions are like there

I live in the Phoenix area

and out at Canyon Lake today, infact all this week, the Lake has started an Alge bloom, I did my night dive at noon. It was like diving in Chicago during St. Patrick day. I spoke with the G&F they said it should only last a week or two. The Visability has varied all week from 10 feet to 'split pea soup' on Friday. The visibility today was such that the top ten feet were green, all you could see was green, bright green, and the ocasional hand. At 25-35 feet about 6 foot clear green at 40 feet and below my back up dive light look like a light saber but you could still see the 6 feet. The thermocline was at 17 feet,the temp at 60 feet was 70 degrees.

The Saguaro Dive and Sports is offering a 2 tank dive with snacks and lake tour for $50

i was up at apache lake this weekend as well....only to party and do some wakeboarding and yes the water was very very green because they let a lot of water in from roosevelt and it stirred up the alge. i have been up to apache for the past 4-5 weeknends and it seems like the water keeps getting dirtier every time we go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom