An open letter to liveaboard operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dear liveaboard operators. I am lucky that I spend around 6 weeks a year on liveaboard dive boats, and it gives me some insight on some recurrent themes. I thought it might be helpful to you to read some views from a "frequent flier".

-We appreciate when you take care of your crew. We can tell when a crew is happy or miserable, and it does influence the overall guest experience.

-We notice when things change (good and bad). We notice when you spruce up your boat or do something to improve your guest comfort. We also notice when you are starting to go on the cheap (stop airport pick-ups, decrease food budget, decreased maintenance, ect.)

-A/C is important to us! We are not used to living in a small hot space, and when the A/C does not work adequately or for only part of the trip, it makes us unhappy.

-Nitrox matters. We spent a lot of money to spend precious little time underwater. Cutting into that time because you can't get your act together with respect to your nitrox system is a BIG deal. Some boats seem to frequently have nitrox breakdowns, while others rarely have problems. Whatever the reason, if your boat has frequent nitrox breakdowns, you are doing a dis-service to your customers, and we resent it. And no, a refund or discount for low nitrox oxygen percentage does not make up for this! If you offer nitrox on your boat, get a quality system and maintain it. I can tell you that I have done 14 trips on the Aquacat and NEVER got a nitrox fill below 29%. I wish this quality was seen on most of the liveaboards that I travel on.

- If you don't want us to charge batteries in our rooms on the sly then give us a viable alternative. We all want to be safe, but I will not leave my batteries outside on an outside camera table charging after ruining all my chargers during a sudden windy rain storm. Designate an area with plugs INSIDE for charging (no, I won't put my charger in my room sink..DUH).

-Using the same snotty dive deck towels for multiple days between laundering is nasty. Using dive deck towels that have been used by other divers and then thrown in a drier without laundering and then distributed at random is nasty. I do not want to dry my face with another guest's baked snot. Even worse, these towels are used to dry UNDER some guests swimsuits (front and back) YUCK! Launder dive deck towels EVERY day, and number them.

-We appreciate flexibility in schedule. We notice when the Captain is trying to adapt the dive site schedule to keep the guests safe and comfortable. We appreciate it when you modify the usual weekly rote to the wants of each group of passengers. Yes, thank you very much for not wasting half a day of diving going to Cayman Brac or the Belize Blue Hole when everyone is repeating guests, and all know that those dives pretty much suck.

In short, we notice if you really are doing your best for us or if you are just going through the motions. And yes, it influences how much we dive with you in the future. Even if we are a returning guest, you might get even more business from us if you continually strive to improve.

Thanks for reading, your customer.

I don't agree with doing the towel laundry every day. A big YES, to the numbering so that you get your own towel over and over again. If you use the warm towel offered to you to wipe your butt, well, just know that your butt flop may be on your shoulders again the next day. :)

Last edited:
hmmm we were considering going on a liveaboard but after reading this i'm scared lol

and i don't agree with the laundry every day, each guest should be assigned one not just toss it on the deck or bring their own

I don't agree with doing the towel laundry every day. A bit YES, to the numbering so that you get your own towel over and over again. If you use the warm towel offered to you to wipe your butt, well, just know that your butt flop may be on your shoulders again the next day. :)

The problem is getting someone ELSES' butt flop on your shoulders AND FACE! T4E will realize once they do a liveaboard, after drying off the saltwater with a towel 5 times and having it cook in a dryer with all the other dirty towels 5 times, it is ready to be laundered. I bring my own towel and let it air-dry on boats that promote the drier petri dish. If the environmental impact of washing a communally dried towel after 5 post-dive uses is an affront to your conscience, then hiring a 100' plus liveaboard to motor you around while burning petrol is probably not for you anyway. :)

Last edited:
If the environmental impact of washing a communally dried towel after 5 post-dive uses is an affront to your conscience, then hiring a 100' plus liveaboard to motor you around while burning petrol is probably not for you anyway. :)

LOL, exactly!
clapping.gif

Not at all, I just want all the fresh water to be used for my showers, clean dishes & utensils and rinsing my gear. Be a hell of a thing to run out of water because you are worried about your after dive shoulder towel. OK, you've done six and I've done one . . . but near as I could tell, the boat was loaded with clean towels. I air dried the towels in my room and the beach towels provided. Didn't concern myself at all with my after dive numbered shoulder towel. But hey, I've been known to blow my nose just before ascending the ladder . . .ew.

diverdoug, why do liveaboards not want you to charge batteries in your room? just curious.

Fastest way to a fire is a poorly maintained charger (or a poorly built charger) full of fuel. I can't tell if a charger is poorly built or poorly maintained, but I can tell you to the penny how much an electrical fire inside the boat costs. I can give you that number in 1994 dollars and also in 2005 dollars. When a fire starts right behind the wheelhouse (where the indoor charging station is on Spree) I can throw the whole mess overboard, saving me tens of thousands of dollars. When a fire starts in the berthing area, I don't find out about it for (potentially) an hour or so, and by that time, the whole boat gets involved.

But the number one cause of boat fires according to USCG statistics? Lint traps on dryers on boats. They don't mention butt flop or dive snot in their report.

ah ha! so fire must be the reason then. i am going on a liveaboard trip soon and just bought a second charger for cheap on ebay incase the first one gets zapped. had a charger get zapped before on holiday when they changed generators. being without camera would be horrible so i bought this second charger. they say 'original' and it looks the same, but when i put it on my wife's kitchen scale it weighs half of what the original weighs! guess if i need to use it i wont use it in the room!

Back
Top Bottom