Anacapa Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Law5Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
October 10th I did went out on the Spectre to Anacapa for 3 dives.

It was about midnight when I got to Ventura Harbor (my flight into LAX was delayed). I couldn't locate the boat, so I parked and walked along the harbor until I finally found it around 1am I finally got settled.

Morning arrived with grey overcast skys, my rental gear (7mil wetsuit with a hood, 5mil booties, thick gloves, and about a ton of weight, and a tank) was waiting for me. The tank had my name on it, so I knew exactly where to setup my personal gear. By the way, the rental gear was in great condition. Nearly brand new. Got my BC attached to the tank and they came around to fill the tank up. (Got about 2880 for all 3 dives).

Once the boat was underway, they opened the galley for breakfast. McDiver w/ cheese and the all day coffee for me. (Had to pay for my breakfast, but not for lunch).

After breakfast, went to get my camera gear ready. But, saw that I left the little velcro part to my stobe at home. Oh well... I thought, guess I wont have the stobe with me. :-(

There were about 3-4 foot seas, rolling waves, not a chop, so it was a nice ride out. We came across a school of dolphins, saw oil rigs in the distance. (One of the more seasoned local divers said that you can dive on the rigs... need to go on a boat that has special permission.)

Finally we reached the first dive site... Cat Rock. Well, must admit, I was a little bit worried about the water temp. Being from Florida, I am used to about 85F in the summer and 70F in the winter. So, I knew that 60F-50F would be COLD... but, with squezzed into that thick wetsuit.... I hoped I would be alright.

The boat didn't enforce the buddy system. So pretty much you were on your own. I have my NAUI Advanced card and it wasn't my first solo dive. (Sharks tooth dive off Venice, Florida with about 5ft vis was my first.. wouldn't have been able to see my buddy even if I had one) So I didn't worry too much about it. So, my turn to jump in.

Well... hitting that cold water for the first time... WOW! Really cold. But, the wetsuit did the job. It was chilly but not too bad.

I had heard about the Cali viz problems, but there was really nice viz. :)

After the first dive we went to a site called Coral Reef.

After the 2nd dive, it was time for lunch. Lunch was BBQ chicken leg quarters cooked on over a charcoal grill that was on the boat! It was really tasty.

After lunch, it was on to the other side of Anacapa to a site called the Gold Fish bowl. Before putting on my booties, I scooped up some hot water from the hot tub into my booties and gloves. Ahh... :) With about 800psi left, a dark shape zoomed over my shoulder. It was a sea lion! I was at the anchor chain and desided to stay there watching the sea loin playing with us divers. Getting low on air (shhh... 300psi... dont tell anyone) I thought it best to head up.

After the last dive we headed back to Ventura Harbor. We met the dolphins again.

3 really great dives, nice boat (though in need of coat of fresh paint), friendly crew (they even remembered my name), new looking rental gear, free lunch... If I am back in the LA area again, I will be back to the Specture.

Well... I thought I would attach a photo that I took. Here is one with 3 classic Anacapa critters. A purple sea urchin, a Spanish Shawl nudibranch, and some strawberry sea anemones.

looks like an Oly Exif. What cam / housing?

K

Glad to hear that you had a nice trip. I've always had a good experience on Spectre for all the reasons that you've mentioned. I love my multi-day dive trips, but the single day dives are very convenient for me. I hope to dive off of Spectre in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom