Anchors away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
I thought this attached letter might be of interest to the rest of you OFWF's. It was writen by Brian Prince.....

Open letter to: Mr. Alan Bauder - Chairman Ad-Hoc Committee on Underwater Resources NY State

Mr. Bauder,

Your name was given to me as the best place to start regarding strengthening and especially enforcing the laws regarding the removal to culturally significant underwater artifacts. In speaking with various NY state persons, I hear that NY laws are very inadequate to protect heritage resources. In the case below, we have a self incriminating publicly documented case that seems to qualify only for a private slap on the wrist. I urge you to use every tactic at your disposal to make an example of this case that is basically a public slap in all our faces by this group of renegade divers.

This case is the one about the removal of an anchor (I now hear more than one in the Clayton area and one in Ogdensburg as well) from the St. Lawrence River last summer. Below are links to the website where the persons are self proclaiming removal of artifacts with photos and also putting down NY State Divers Association (NYSDA) members for disapproval. Some question was raised as to whether these pictures are of the anchor in question... This point is moot since they are publicly displaying and have documented the illegal removal of marine artifacts. See the links below for the full disclosure of illegal activity.

When and how it was done with photos: http://www.northeastaquanauts.com/salvage.htm
Story of Aquanauts vs. NYSDA: http://www.northeastaquanauts.com/dive_report.htm
Photos of other artifacts removed: http://66.155.20.216/gallery1.htm

Since both (NY and Ontario) share the River, activities like this continue due to lack of education, enforcement and publicity of enforcement on both sides. The proclaimed reasons for removal (salvage permit, not on a shipwreck, commercial diver present) are seriously unjustified as these items are all government property regardless of location and taken without license. For those that might not know, all bottom lands are protected and owned (including abandoned items) by the government in NY and Ontario. Artifacts on or off a heritage site are NOT to be removed without conservation plans under license. Clearly this was not documented as the case. A valid salvage permit as they proclaim is usually site specific for a more recent specific loss.

This person, group of people and accomplices (like the marina & charter boat) should be charged to the full extent of the law since they did not have a valid permit. In our opinion, the dive boat, photo equipment, dive equipment, forklift confiscated and the website & club shut down. The anchors should be returned to the water by the USGC where they can most importantly be preserved and secondly appreciated by all in the aquatic environment. These people and films should be banned from publicly spreading the word that this is a condoned activity. They should be required to publicly speak on why they should NOT do this as part of their restitution. The whole fiasco should be widely publicized in news articles in US and Canada and by National Geographic since they are named as taking part (under Sept 28 10am section).

These people say they are going to spread the word and show the film of the recovery at Beneath the Sea on what a great place the St. Lawrence is for treasure hunters. It is long past due that the ever decreasing number of divers learn the laws and the costs of breaking them. They are stealing from the rest of us for their own satisfaction. Prosecution is difficult in most cases, but with such a blatant admission of undertaking and photographic evidence publicly stated... the case is clearly made. A letter saying "put it back" as was said to have been sent is simply not enough action and is paramount to a private slap on the wrist which serves no educational purpose which is the main ingredient needed. If this is not properly actioned and publicized, then the NY Government is proclaiming open season on all artifacts large and small on the US side of the St. Lawrence River which gives complete access to the Ontario side.

Part of the problem might be the fact that there is only an Ad-hoc Committee for underwater resources in NY. While this is a good start, more needs to be done to promote an appreciation for taking care of our non-renewable heritage resources. Here in Ontario, we have an avocational group of divers promoting marine heritage preservation working with government. NY state can start up their own chapter of SOS just like Ohio did. This would go a long way to helping educating divers and non-divers alike that our valuable non-renewable marine heritage is worth protecting.

Please update all of us on your actions to date, proposed actions and the out come ASAP so that we may help to spread the word. All concerned divers who visit these sites and charter operators who depend on these heritage resources await your response to this outrage.

Respectfully,
Brian Prince
Save Ontario Shipwrecks
Board Member-at-Large

First that I've heard of this - I have a few questions that you may not be able to answer, but maybe someone else can help out...
  • Was the anchor removed from the Canadian side or the US side of the river?
  • Does it matter if the anchor was removed from the US side of the river?
  • Was the anchor removed from a definable wreck site?
  • Was the removal of the anchor a violation of any law or regulation?
  • If this wasn't a violation of any law or regulation, is it generally agreed that the removal is a violation of community standards?
  • Should this be classified as a disagreement between two diametrically opposed schools of thought?
  • Is there a better way (for either party) to resolve this issue?
This kind of sounds like a fight between a couple of river rats, which anyone that's ever spent time on a river can tell you is bound to be violent and usually results in anyone and everyone in the vicinity getting hurt. A pi**ing match between two guys wearing wetsuits also seems kind of pointless, although it might make a good comedy skit. Maybe they both need to develop a little perspective, not to mention respect for each other.

Steven

Oh - and one more thing: it's "anchor aweigh," aweigh meaning raised just clear of the bottom. :) Very appropriate!

reefraff once bubbled...

This kind of sounds like a fight between a couple of river rats, which anyone that's ever spent time on a river can tell you is bound to be violent and usually results in anyone and everyone in the vicinity getting hurt. A pi**ing match between two guys wearing wetsuits also seems kind of pointless, although it might make a good comedy skit. Maybe they both need to develop a little perspective, not to mention respect for each other.

Are your seriously agreeing with what these people are doing??

I don't think it is a pissing match. I think Brian has made some very good points that need to be addressed.

What is comes down to is some jerk taking valuable artifacts from there resting place where they should be and this type of blantant robbery should stop.

taz22 once bubbled...
What is comes down to is some smuck taking valuable artifacts from there resting place where they should be and this type of blantant robbery should stop.
what it comes down to is some folks are of the mind that valuable artifacts belong to the finder and other folks are of the mind that valuable artifacts belong to the government.

I raised the questions to Brian, and he'll most likely be joining us soon.

I remember only some of the discussions concerning this anchor, which is why I ask Brian to respond to reefraff's questions.

If the anchor was in Canadian waters - then it would have been considered property of the Crown, and should not have been removed. In Ontario we have very clear laws about this.

"what it comes down to is some folks are of the mind that valuable artifacts belong to the finder and other folks are of the mind that valuable artifacts belong to the government."

UP, I think that it's a case of some people figure that the valueable artifacts belong to EVERYBODY, not the government.

at least that would be my view.

he will almost certainly find that he the support of the members of his own organization and a serious lack of respect from much of the rest of the wreck diving community.

I would suggest that he'll be better of worrying about the laws of his own country and keeping his mind, and his hands, off the laws of ours.

An anchor, such a valuable artifact!

WW

just to clarify guys, I have no problem with removing artifacts from wrecks. I feel in a lot of cases it is necissary in order to preserve the artifact in question.
what I have a problem with, is the people that remove artifats, and hide them away so that no-one gets a chance to see them.
I tend to see a big difference between artifact preservation, and trophy hunting.

I also realize that this is a very controversial subject, so before the flames start, I would invite anybody that would like to disuss this, or even just tell me I'm an idiot, please do so by PM'ing me.

I have no problem respecting existing preservation laws. If I dive Canadian waters, I will happily look but not touch. My problem in this thread is some government lackey, or wannabe government lackey, trying to insert himself in affairs that don't concern him, IE U.S. artifact recovery laws.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom