And now for something completely different

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but the other spelling is acceptable..... (which reminds me: My wife also loves to sail, but she doesn't like my use of "sailing words", which she apparently believes is part of a conspiracy to confuse her with lingo. For that reason, I sail mostly singlehand, even with the family, since it takes me fifty words to tell her in "plain English" that I need to "loosen the downhaul".

Stone once bubbled...
Your sails will luft if you get "three sheets to the wind" (before or during your lessons).
Luff... he meant luff...
Poor lad's gonna be so confused by the time he gets to Annapolis he won't know a batten from a bulwark.
Rick :)

Get a good pair of sailing gloves. Some of the macho guys won't use them, but the lines and sheets can blister your hands easily if you don't have calluses.

If you're on a small boat buy a dry bag for wallet, jacket, and stuff. After soaking everything a couple of times, I learned.

Schools will usually have some foul weather gear for students, but if not you might want to think about that. Classes don't stop for a little rain and even on a beautiful sunny day you might get very wet beating to windward when it's choppy in a stiff breeze

Ralph

Wow, it sounds like I'm going to have to learn a whole second language.

We got our gloves over the weekend. My girlfriend has her shoes but I still need to get mine. I was thinking about the foul weather gear since they are calling for showers this weekend. sounds a bit like gearing up for diving :D

Thanks for the tips and the spelling lessons. And yes Tom, I'll try to remember to duck...

Thanks everyone

Ty

Good suggestion. I ALWAYS wear gloves, since your hands will end up a "mess" before you even notice...West Marine sells some good, but cheap gloves (under $20, I think.)

As for spelling errors and confusing terms, I noticed I wrote "gybe". Ha! Where the heck did that come from?

As for all the confusing terminology, as I tried to explain to my wife--it really makes things simpler. A downhaul, a vang or a cunningham are very specific tools for modifying sail shape. When someone talks about the "luff" or "leach", or the "tack" or "head" of a sail (okay, as opposed to the head down below) you will know immediately what they are talking about.

The "starboard side" is always starboard no matter which way you are looking. To say "grab the spinnaker halyard and haul it in", or "trim the starboard sheet" is easier to say than "grab that line...NO, not that one, the other one! No, THAT line there!"

Of course, this is usually where the wife or non sailing friend gets mad and pouts while you try to trim and drive the boat at the same time.

Been there. Done that.

For example, a conversation from my last sail, where we were sailing an overpowered Newport 33 in some pretty heavy winds:

"Pam, we're coming up on a spoil bank and we have a drilling rig hard to our lee side. We need to come about right now."

"Ah, what?"

"A spoil bank. A big pile of mud on the side of the ship channel. We are going to get stuck if we don't tack now."

"Okay. Let me get the handle thingie and wrap that blue rope around the wrench. Let me know when to unwrap that rope on the other side."

"Okay", I sigh. It's a winch, I wanted to say.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

"Ready about", I told her.

All of a sudden all he** breaks loose. The genoa is flogging up a storm and I see that Pam let the sheet go prematurely. We were still hard over, but now were are losing our pointing ability and are falling off toward the rig. I scrambled around the boat, reset the sheet and powered up a bit before coming up and tacking the boat over myself.

"What were you doing?" I shouted when I finished. "I didn't tell you to let go the sheet!".

"Yes you did! You said you were READY!"

"I didn't say 'helms alee' or 'helms over', I said 'ready about'!"

"Well, you said READY! That means you were ready! That meant you were ready for me to untie that stupid rope thingie! Use REAL words next time!"

Ever the diplomatic sort, I through in, "Well, I'd never want to run track against you. I guess you would start running when the starter said 'Ready' and before he said, 'set , go'!"

She didn't talk to me for an hour after that....

(Sailing is SO relaxing, I tell myself over and over and over....)

Sailing with you spouse is so much fun. A major reason why i stopped sailing was my wife didn't enjoy it.

Ralph

jibe1

jibe also gybe (jìb) Nautical. verb
jibed also gybed jibing gybing jibes gybes verb, intransitive
To shift a fore-and-aft sail from one side of a vessel to the other while sailing before the wind so as to sail on the opposite tack.

verb, transitive
To cause (a sail) to jibe.

noun
The act of jibing.
[Alteration (perhaps influenced by JIB1), of gybe, from obsolete Dutch gijben.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights reserved.

Rockhound once bubbled...
Ever the diplomatic sort, I through in, "Well, I'd never want to run track against you. I guess you would start running when the starter said 'Ready' and before he said, 'set , go'!"

She didn't talk to me for an hour after that....
Ah, my young friend, let me share a bit of technique... lessons I have learned...
(1) Rule #1: If mama ain't happy ain't noooo..body happy.
(2) Whenever you are in an argument with your wife and you discover that you are correct, apologize immediately.
(3) Rub her feet.
Rick :) :) :)

Rick

That's a Lazarus Long (Robert A. Heinlein) quote, yes?

(one of my favorite autors)

I thought I was the only one to quote him....

Some of my favorites:

"It's better to copulate than never".

" A mouse is an elephant built to government specifications."

"Diplomacy is one of the lubricants of life. It helps the machinery run smoother."

I'm paraphrasing the last one, since I can't remember it clearly. Of course, I first read of Lazarus as a teenager more than 25yrs. ago, so it's surprising that I remember any of it. Heinlein was one of my favorite authors.)

Back
Top Bottom