Andros Island, Bahamas dive trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaydog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just returned from a diving trip on Andros Island, Bahamas. Eight days of diving, 23 dives total. It was a great trip, especially for my wife and I who are fairly new divers. We stayed at an all inclusive lodge called Small Hope Bay Lodge which is geared primarily toward diving and bonefishing - and needless to say, with three dives a day, we didn't do much of anything other than dive, eat, and relax.

The diving was great, good dive masters and instructors who really knew their stuff AND took a personal interest in each and every diver. While we were there we completed our AOW certification, which was really almost just a confirmation of the skills that we were already working on developing - and we were constantly learning from ALL of the divemasters and instructors on nearly every dive.

The reef off Andros seems to be succumbing to a large scale algae growth - lots of dead coral, but the structure of the reef and the HUGE wall (nearly a 6000 ft drop into the Tongue of the Ocean) and even a couple of wrecks kept things very interesting. We saw lots of Caribbean reef sharks, hawksbill turtles, southern stingrays, Nassau groupers, a HUGE manta ray, lobster, tons of reef fish and even a big (to us!) 10-12 ft Hammerhead. The diving consisted of a two tank morning boat trip with a deep wall dive (90-130 ft) and a shallow reef dive (15-40ft) and an afternoon boat trip with a mid-depth dive (60-90 ft). Currents were almost non-existant - sometimes there was a slight current along the walls, but nothing too bothersome. All-in-all, very easy and pleasurable diving. We did see a LOT of the invasive lionfish, an import from the Pacific that has no natural predators in the Caribbean. No one is sure exactly how they were imported into the Carribean, but they seem to be thriving - time will tell how big of an impact they have on the native reef fish species.

The food at the lodge was outstanding - a mix of local Bahamian fare and typical North American style foods. The lodge staff and service were excellent - and everyone who worked there seemed to go out of their way to be friendly and to get to know the guests. That "personal" involvement with the guests is a Small Hope Bay Lodge trademark and really worked to make our stay especially enjoyable.

I'd highly recommend a stay here - especially for divers looking to build their experience levels. But even the seasoned divers that we dove with loved the dive sites. The reef and wall are just minutes away by boat - our longest boat trips were approximately 20 minutes with many sites even closer.

Great trip report. I'm going to check that place out! I was just diving off of Bimini and Grand Bahama and I also ran into some Lionfish. A bunch around GBI. Only saw a few in Bimini.

It's easy to be good divemasters with great guests like you two! Come back and see us soon! :)

SHB is awesome! Will be there next week. What is the water temp?

It's 81-82 right now. Viz is great and the water has been calm and gorgeous!

See you next week!

Amanda

Sounds fantastic, hope it stays that way. I’ll leave my wetsuit at home :). Thanks Amanda. Cya on Wednesday.

Hey Dave and Amanda!

Just back also from 10 days (8 diving days) at Small Hope Bay Lodge and wanted to write a glowing report. LOVED the place! My son CJ and I had a great time.

We dove with the original poster Dave, but he left a little sooner than us and beat me to the trip report! Dave, you are awesome, but I didn't know you read minds too! Is writing someone else's thoughts plagerism? LOL

Amanda, thanks for the great hospitality, hope your ears are all better, and please pass our highest regards on to everone. Miss you guys already!

Bruce & C.J.

The Red Lion fish has the same predators in the Bahamas as they do in the Pacific! You can get educated on them here: Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

The Bahamas needs some water circulation in order to get ride of the Alga that is taking over and a lot of the Blame goes to Andros as the farming runoff adds nutrients to the water along with Sea Urchins dying and over fishing it has hit a large area of the Bahamas and is a much bigger problem than the Red Lion fish! Clean off the dead coral with a gloved hand and maybe some of the coral will have a chance to come back? It need clean white surfaces free of alga to attach and grow!

Back
Top Bottom