Anilao or Dumaguete/Dauin (in April)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a keen photographer then it is imperative to arrange the dive guide FIRST. Most of them if not all of them work freelance and for some reasons they cannot ply their trades in certain resorts!!!!
A good guide is in big demand!!!

You know, I was reading this and decided to chime in with my 2psi worth. I was at the Eagle Point resort last year in Anilao, and also in Sabang/Puerto Galera earlier this year. (extensive reports on both places are in my back postings) It occurs to me that with a few minor differences, that the two areas are remarkably similar, diving wise. They could not be more different on the surface, as Anilao is made up of thoroughly isolated and separated resorts, whereas Sabang is a crazy quilt of many, many different resorts and dive operations, all competing cheek by jowl with each other for your business and located right next to each other. In Anilao, you pick your place and are pretty much stuck with it, as it's hard to move around. Not so in Sabang. And they are located almost across the channel from each other, so the diving choices are very similar. Anilao has that unique pricing structure which really caters more to groups, but Sabang is pretty standardized with no real penalties for single divers. I don't know- the isolation of the Anilao resorts didn't really appeal to me, and Sabang was a whole lot more fun topside, at least in my humble opinion. Anilao has a couple of unique spots, I suppose, but I have to say that I thought the diving was pretty good (and similar) in both places. Lots of nudibranchs in both areas, for example. Transfers choices and costs were pretty much the same for both areas, from what I saw, and you can go from ultra cheap to plush and private with either place. Transfer times were pretty similar also. Just my opinion, and YMMD. Woody

I would agree with most of what WOODMAN says above, although my preference is for Anilao as I don't real care for the sleazy side of Sabang.

Sabang also has the added travel sector of a 45 minute boat crossing from Batangas, I know of some people who missed a flight because bad weather prevented them returning on time from Sabang to Batangas.

+1 on Crystal Blue BTW, been there twice now, and the last time I had my own boat and personal guide, most dives were 80-90 mins, plan to return there again when I go back to PI.

Thanks people. I have checked out on the wesites of all the Anilao dive resorts mentioned and have decided to narroiw it down to one of three

Aquaventure
Buceo
Crystal Blue

At the moment, B seems the most suitable to my requirements but C & A are also close.

I certainly want a quiet place and nothing touristy. Would prefer to stay away from Porto Galeria.

rob1967 is in Anilao now; wait and see what place he can recommend.

(edit) from pix, apparently he's at Aiyanar.

Last edited:
Sabang also has the added travel sector of a 45 minute boat crossing from Batangas, I know of some people who missed a flight because bad weather prevented them returning on time from Sabang to Batangas.

Very true, although you have a 1/2 hour to 45 min ride from Batangas down to the resorts on the southwest side of Anilao, and that was by private van. (I did this 4 times) I imagine any kind of public transport would be slower yet. As I said, the travel times kind of balance out. Although your mention of a problem with the weather screwing up the boat transfer part of it is indeed a risk. Luckily I have never seen it happen, at least not so far.:no:

Yes, as FT mentioned, I am at Aiyanar resort in Anilao at this moment. Aiyanar is quite pricey, but also very nice! So if you have the budget for higher end resorts, go for it! The food is just ok, but the rooms and diving facilities are very nice. The only reason I booked here was to attend an underwater photo competition, today is the last day. Tomorrow we are planning to transfer to ABC resort. I had a look at the place yesterday, it seems fine, and it suits the budget of my buddy. They can also do tech fills (I need 100% O2 for my rebreather).

I have also stayed at Dive Solana, which I quite liked, very nice mid-to-high range place with great dive guides. I also stayed at Club O, very basic, but fantastic dive guides.

Bottom line is there is a range of places to suit most budgets, so choose a place that is well-reviewed and within your budget and you will probably be very happy!

Anilao more than any other place really caters to the macro-photographer!

Thanks Rob1967. I looked at Aiyanar and it seems nice but I don't necessarily want to spend that kind of money.

Based on people's reports here and my own gut feeling after looking at their websites, it now looks like a choice between Buceo and Crystal Blue. For starters I will contact them and present my case; we can take it from there.

What's a good Anilao resort with a nice house reef . Want to avoid high cost of boats when not with groups. Was at Dive an trek years ago and they have a nice house reef. Problem with Dive and Trek is you need a boat transfer to get there.

Back
Top Bottom