Ankle weights- Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFreak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Simple- Just curious what the general feeling out there is.

Ankle weights, you like em or not?

Let us know :D

I for one do, as i dive drysuit, and the reasons below.
I find it's easier to maintain a horizontal position, as your legs don't constantly rise behind you, and, should you find yourself in one, I also find it easier to somersault out of an inverted position with ankle weights on.

Scubafreak :wink:

Nay. There is simply no need for them.

If there is too much air in your feet, then you have other issues, and ankle weights are merely overweighting yourself to compensate for that issue(s).

This one's been beaten to death in the past, so let the whippings begin....

SS

ScubaScott:

SS

indeed it has...but not in my lifetime... :D

ScubaScott:
Nay. There is simply no need for them.

If there is too much air in your feet, then you have other issues, and ankle weights are merely overweighting yourself to compensate for that issue(s).

SS

What is the usual lbs of the ankle weight? I hear women wearing them a lot but I don't know of any male divers needing them, so far anyway. Is there such a thing as buoyant fins that require ankle weights?

pilot fish:
What is the usual lbs of the ankle weight? I hear women wearing them a lot but I don't know of any male divers needing them, so far anyway. Is there such a thing as buoyant fins that require ankle weights?

normally about 2lbs an ankle, and i've never experience fins that are buoyant, but my 8mm drysuit is!

dont need them, even with my trilam drysuit.

I don't need them for my CF200 but I do for my USIA backup suit. Not sure why that is on the USIA other than the fact that the boots are huge on me.

ScubaFreak:
normally about 2lbs an ankle, and i've never experience fins that are buoyant, but my 8mm drysuit is!

I never needed them, and I just don't get the logic of putting lead on your motor. Dive with turtles or jets, work on it and you'll get it dialed in.

The ankle weights I see most in SoCal are 3.5# a pair. You can do the math for each.

My wife, after her run-away ascent in her DS really, REALLY started weighing herself. Its a vicious circle... more weight, more gas, smaller margin of error before runaway. But telling that to someone who's scared out of their skull is tough.

She was really overweighed. Dive after dive, as she became more confident and more capable with her DS, we started removing weight. She started feeling floaty - so I brought in the ankle weights. More as a placebo than anything else.

We pulled off another 4 and replaced it with the ankle weights. A few dives later, off they came. She was amazed at how much easier it was to dive, to walk, to get up the ladder, into the boat, etc. without the ankle weights.

Did she need them? I don't think so. Did they help her? They sure did when she took them off....

---
Ken

I use em.. like em.. have gone without them.. didn't like it.. even in a wetsuit my feet were bouyant, so that is my I wear em in a drysuit. Some see ankle waits as a crutch.. me it's a personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom