Another cave diver lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn't hard to find virgin cave 30 years ago. It is today.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to find a virgin anything today...:rofl3:

I'm not wanting us to get off topic, but I just couldn't resist...

It's important information to read, and heed . . . and not just for the beginners.

I was guilty, not too long ago, of doing a dive with two friends, one of whom has FAR more experience than I have, and one of whom had just finished her Cave class. We did several dives together during the week, and one of the last ones involved a stage, complex navigation, and a camera . . . and after I got home, I got to thinking that that was probably a more ambitious dive than our third buddy ought to have been doing at that point. She didn't say anything, and at the time, I just didn't think about it . . . but I remember doing a complex nav dive at roughly the same point in my career, and coming out, realizing I wasn't sure just how many jumps we had done, and that that was proof that I was in over my head (so to speak) on that dive.

Beginners need to take things slowly, and those of us who are used to doing bigger dives, need to remember not to encourage them to push their limits, even if that's done inadvertently.

Very true words. As I have been diving since completing my full cave, I have been seeing this more & more. Do I want to be able to do DPV? Yes. Do I want to eventually go to Trimix? Certainly. But, after this last trip to No. FL, I saw that waiting is the best policy for me right now. This last trip, I was the slightly more experienced diver in our team.Yes, I had thought of doing more complex dives when I arrived, but after a couple of rough warm- up dives, I knew immediately that wasn't an option. I kept the dives fairly simple with no more than 2 jumps or simple circuits with no more than 2 jumps. It really drove home the point that my buddy & I were truly on our own (no instructor or more experienced diver to rely on) & it was completely our own skills that would get us out safely. It really woke up a whole new level of awareness in me (a very good thing on my part). I found myself automatically monitoring the line position more often, automatically monitoring my buddy's whereabouts more often. I took notice of cave features like I never had before. I ran through the cave maps in my head & knew exactly where I was at all times during our dives. Yes, I had some goals I wanted to achieve, but not at the cost of our safety. I achieved some of these goals,... others I will have to come back to & work on later. I did really take the time to enjoy the caves (mostly on the way out) & learned more of their unique features & land marks. It was truly a growing experience for me as a newer cave diver. In future dives, I will slowly make them more complex. Yes, my instructor had me do more complex navigation while in training, for experience & I did fine with it, but now that I am on my own, I want to expand on it slowly, so that I know without a doubt where I am & what I am doing at all times.

For some time my instructor has been holding me back on some of the more advanced levels (Multistage, DPV & Trimix) & after this last trip, I see & know exactly why. I am not yet ready. Getting there,... yes, but not there yet. My excitement of being able to dive the caves, & seeing a Full Cave class mate surge ahead in his training (he is much younger & in much better condition than I), had blinded me to fact I was not ready. My eyes are now open & I fully understand & appreciate why I've been held back. I am no longer in such an all- fired hurry to advance. My skills & confidence are growing & I was assured that it would not be too long before my instructor would take me further. I am content with that. I see there is no reason to be in a hurry & I no longer am. I want to enjoy this sport for a very long time to come.

Greetings Tammy and I understand what you are saying loud and clear there is an awareness that takes time to develop and there is not a set time frame for every diver.
This past year it has been made so real to me in the losses in the cave community.
Some of these divers were at the top of the skill ladder but still did not survive the issues at hand.
This is not a thread discussing accident analysis but I have learned so very much from examining the facts from each incident.
Even the older reports that I read were poignant reminders of the main point of this thread!

I have a piece written by Sheck Exley entintaled "It's your call" it is a sobering tale that brings the message of this post home so to speak.
For the last several months these thoughts and more have been bouncing in my head.
I have learned to seek out other opinions from those who tell me what the RULES state and call me out when I have gone beyond the limits.
In doing this I have been humbled learning very MUCH about the kind of diver I want to be.
Cave diving is not a race nor a contest of any sort!
THAT LINE OF REASONING WILL KILL YOU OR YOUR BUDDIES!
That is the reality of the environment is if your ego / lack of awareness goes unchecked your rushing into a nightmare!

I love diving and cave diving has totally absorbed all of my heart and soul, why risk it by rushing into it?
I am thankful for the sobering rebukes and advice I have received.
Sometimes the gravity of our actions take a while to scare the HXXL out of us.
When the reality of the situation greets our awareness it sets us down like a kick in the groin!
I have gotten the message and am seeking to set my diving on the appropriate coarse.
As stated before I am having the time of my life cave diving and am looking forward to many more years of enjoyment.
I am looking forward to finishing full cave and moving on when my experience and dives require it.

There are situations and or conditions that can arise that even despite all the planning, training, cool headed disposition, it can not always pull us out!
Tempering dive planning with conservatism and not always diving to the max of our limits can help avoid, "THE LAST DIVE"!
To much , To fast, To often pushing the limits will test your skill and ability to survive!
No one holds a gun to our head when we plan dives, so if it is to much alter the plan or change it altogether.
Your participation in a dive is up to you and it can be different form day to day.

Some of the best advice I have gotten yet was simple, "If you do not feel like the dive will be fun or that you are on top of things....can it!"
Some times it is best to wait for another day.
Bad decisions can start before you ever get wet!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom