Another Crummy Week in Paradise, Roatan 12/11-18 Daily Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver:
Keep em' coming until Billy gets that new web cam installed :D

Thursday- Eviction Notice has been served...

Yes, last afternoon, we found the paperwork laid on our beds to remind us that we were foolish and only booked one week this go round. The last half of the week was drier and warmer and calmer. Last night we had a calm evening with a brilliant quarter moon.

Mantis Shrimp- the kind that could snap the tip of your finger off- have settled in the sand walkway. Luckily they have no taste for toes. On Wednesday night, four newbie divers joined me and did their first night dive as well. They all exhibited excllent buoyancy skills and got to see lots!

Dana, 16 and just certified has great spotting ability and luck to boot. She found Mr. Octopus and got to observe him puffing and posturing. She helped today by putting up floaty bottles along the chain.

One visiting diver hires a fast boat (from French Harbour) and jets off every night to exotic night dives all around the Bay Islands. We seem to have just enough energy for the nightly shore dive from CCV.

Pancho, the CoCoView Island dog seems enthralled with those big beetles. He traps them and covers them with sand. If anyone has a flashlight, Pancho follows them and hunts for lobster and octopus.

Junior came by yesterday to peddle his shell collections and cigars. Today, the hair braiding lady reappeared and brought along Veronica who does the intricate embroidery.

Last night, we packed off to "The View" where we all dined and ate and drank... for $12 each. Excellent food, deserts, and of course, "The View" itself. Hurry back for a night dive!

On Thursday we did Calvins Crack. Now I have the answer for when people ask the differeerence between CCV and Fantasy Island. CoCoView is a diver's resort. Fantasy Island Beach Resort is a resort that happens to offer diving. Here we are on Thursday, towards the end of the week, when most guest divers are doing well. At Calvin's the DM assembles all the divers at a hole (5x5') in the top of the reef. Due to the nature of the interior of the Crack, the divers are advised to space themselves out. The CCV DM's motion each diver to go in as they pace them out.

FIBR shows up and does it as a drop-off dive. Eight turtles flop in, their DM burns a fin kick to the hole and burrows himself in. The guest divers follow, mask to flipper. The DM was wearing blue jean cut-offs and three divers sported large leg knives. One gal was in a polka dot bikini (she shouldna' been). They clustered into the hole doing some obvious damage to the coral.

Next came another DM and a lagging female. She had ALL of the dive gear (ALL). He motioned her into the WRONG hole. Tulio (our CCV DM) and I motioned them towards the correct hole. She went in, started to float back up while back-peddaling with her sculling hands. The FIBR DM pushed her ahead. More coral damage. What a mess.

Our Calvins Crack dive was much more fun, we did it down, then fiddled about (some going into the blind crack), then we went back up thru Calvins, exiting it at 25' thru the entrance hole. Then off to feen the Toadfish. He wasn't a Splendid Toadfish, but he was pretty cool, nevertheless.

We also watched the Roatan Agressor all week. We watched them hit all of the dive sites that we did, at 3x the price from what we paid. It just makes no sense. There are a lot of places to dive on Roatan that a liveaboard could do well, but the Aggressor just don't go there. Too bad.

Today on Friday, we did "Doc's Dive", named after CCV's first DM/Instructor, Doc Radawski. It's spectacular architecture boasts many places to swim thru, under and up. Lot's of life and activity.

On dives this week, CCV guests saw Eels of all types, Spotted Eagle Rays as well as Hammerhead Sharks and Caribbean Reef Sharks. Roatan is the kind of place you go to find the small critters- bring your magnifying glass.

Friday night and we are getting back from Island Tours, Dolphin Encounters, Canopy (slide for life) Tours and just plain sunning at CCV. Tonight is also the staff Christmas party, so that ought to be amusing. Hang on, Maude.

Tomorrow? TACA towards Chicago.

Thanks for the "fix" Doc ... only four more months till I get to experience it for myself ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Saturday Night, and we're back in Wintery Chicago!

You can read of the further exploits and weekly notes at http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html

Yes, there was a Hammerhead Shark! Plus one observation of the Lobster that dined on Octopus Sashimi.

Thanks to all at CoCoView, the 12 trip members left with big silly smiles and a lot of memories.

Stay warm, and we'll see you in paradise again soon!

parrotheaddiver:
Doc thanks for the mind trip. You always paint a colorful picture, wished I was there. Only 5 more months.

Heading out to Roatan for Christmas. Hope the weather clears up - it's cool and rainy here in the central highlands on the mainland.

Thanks for the trip 'home', Doc!

Only 145 more days! :11:

I am going in Feb. for my first visit to Roatan. After reading your review, I see that I have made the right choice. Looking forward to it! JoAnn

Thanks for the report. We have it down as a must return in 2005 but not sure what week yet. What a great place to dive and relax.

NDH:
Thanks for the report. We have it down as a must return in 2005 but not sure what week yet. What a great place to dive and relax.

Dee has a trip going in May you may want to look into going then. It will be quite a few Swampers.

When it gets below a 100 days I'm jumping in on the countdown. :D Tick Tock time goes so slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom