Another family road trip: Texas to Yosemite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I visited Yosemite for a few days in December 20 years ago, really enjoyed what I saw, but the possibilities were limited. I've always wanted to go back when the northern road Tioga Pass Road was open through Tuolumne Meadows, do Glacier Road and some sites east of the park, and more.

Yosemite-Map.gif

I really wanted to share those sights with my kids, so I bounced the idea off of them - not really expecting them to go for it, but they did! Haha, my daughter added that she'd want to include Disneyland or Catalina Island again, and my son-in-law hoped we could include Colorado - and I suggested they look at some maps. They did, and came up with new requests we can work with.

Well, their requests are for the Grand Canyon, since the son-in-law didn't get to take that trip a couple of years back with my daughter and the kids, and she wants to do a little of Sedona for some reason beyond me. I drove thru there once 20 or 30 years ago while exploring area ruins & features, didn't notice much - but she and my sis went to a wedding there a few years ago, and she loves it?! :idk: We stopped off on the last trip for a few hours so the girls could explore something - and I don't get it, so overrun, overhyped, overpriced, and all? Anyway, I think I've worked out how we can do a little of this & that, including their requests - unless SWA offers a good sale to Vegas for dates we can use, then we have agreed to skip those for another time and fly to start there with Plan B.

I'd really like to go in May before the biggest crowds hit Yosemite, or September after school starts, but they can't get away from school either. I have an idea that Yosemite Vally may be even more crowded than Grand Canyon close to the village, and there are even traffic challenges on some of the other roads - but we have to go when they can, so we're looking at June.

Plan A...

Day-0: Rent a minivan with unlimited mileage and no state restrictions and put the miles on their vehicle. That'll cost us over $800 plus gas for the 11 days & 3,000+ miles, but the real cost of driving our biggest vehicle would be 3 times that before gas - and their vehicles are newer and roomier than even our 4-door pickup. If we have a mechanical problem, it's their problem - not ours, and we'll see how fast they can bring us another one.

Day-1: Lubbock to my house to Holbrook AZ: 622 miles, 9-½ hours (2 time hour change). That's more driving than I like in a day, and it's all driving - but it'll put us in nice range.

1.jpg

Day-2: Holbrook, AZ to Grand Canyon: 165 mi, 2-½ hr, going in the east entrance as I think it'll have shorter lines, first stop - Desert View Watchtower. A nice place to start, and a couple of shops. I need to replace my GC cap I lost on a roller coaster, and I want to avoid the Village. Spend the rest of the day visiting various south rim views, avoid the buses unless we can get on one to Hermit's Rest without the problems we had last time, and a picnic lunch - then to Williams for the night...

2.jpg

Day-3: Williams to Lee Vining: 545 mi, 8 hr. Get there early enough to see Mono Lake, I hope. It's sad that LA has stolen the lake's water, but the site looks interesting - and now the tufa rock formations previously submerged are above the surface.

3.jpg

Day-4: Yosemite Park & Valley: 76 Mi, 2 hrs plus stops and valley traffic. Who knows what we'll get into along the way, we'll be exploring, but I'll have my PLB - it goes where I go nowadays. We'll try not to get in trouble. I am wondering if I want to carry bear spray, and if the park allows that? The national park sites are all down for now. The Lodge there is already sold out for June, so who knows what we'll find when we have our dates picked? We might stay in their tent village there in the valley, or commute to/from hotel outside the south gate...?

4.jpg

Day-5: Tunnel View, Mariposa grove - the biggest of 3 grove of the Giant Sequoias on the park, Glacier Point, etc. - explore more. The glaciers left there started in the Little Ice Age, have been receding since, some have vanished - and it'd be neat to visit one while we can.

5.jpg

Day-6: Explore the park more, including another trip on Tioga Road, and end up in Lee Vining or south for the night.

6.jpg

Day-7: Down to Devils Postpile, then later, to Panamint Springs Resort, 202 mi, 4 hr driving.

7.JPG

Day-8: Death Valley. I really don't know what we'll see there in a few hours, but we'll see. The Racetrack is too far down an unpaved road, but visiting Badwater Basin 282 feet below sea level sounds neat - deeper than I hope I ever dive, the craters sound interesting, and more - as long as we can do it in the morning! 60 miles to the park, then after lunch 386 mi, 6 hr to Oak Valley north of Sedona for the night. I think maybe I found once place we can afford to stay! There is even a Dairy Queen on that road, and it gets good reviews. :)

8.jpg

Day-9: The girls want to go into Sedona for whatever. Leave after lunch for Grants: 275 mi, 4 hr, or Albuquerque, 355 miles, 5-½ hr.

9.jpg

Day-10: To my house, then Lubbock: 467 mi, 7 hr, or from Albuquerque 389 miles, 6 hr

10.jpg

Plan B...

If SWA runs a sale for $200 RT tickets to Vegas in June, which I think they might, and we can pick our dates then - they've agreed: Save Grand Canyon & Sedona for another trip, fly non-stop that far, rent our van there for just 7 days, save enough on van rental, gas, and overnight stops to pay for the tickets for 4 - and start there. My home bud's family used to consider Vegas a one day drive from here years ago, before I-40 even - but it's a 2 day drive each way to me, that I'd love to skip.

Last edited:
I have a second home out there - I would recommend you look at

Day one - Drive to north Phoenix/Scottsdale area.
Day two - Montezuma's castle - Sedona - State hwy 89A up to Flagstaff
Day three - Grand Canyon/ Hoover Dam - stay Vegas (or some version thereof)
It's a hard 11 hour drive from Vegas to Yosemite.
Do what ever you want in California
Come back through Utah - if southern route (back toward Vegas) do Zion/Bryce and Mesa Verde (in Colorado)
Come back through Utah - if northern route ( I - 80) do Arches/Canyonlands and Mesa Verde

Having been to all of them (more than once) the the most beautiful place to me is driving state road 128 along the Colorado River outside of Moab Utah.
Puts Sedona to shame - but Sedona markets itself while the other place really does not!

I have a second home out there - I would recommend you look at

Day one - Drive to north Phoenix/Scottsdale area.
Day two - Montezuma's castle - Sedona - State hwy 89A up to Flagstaff
Day three - Grand Canyon/ Hoover Dam - stay Vegas (or some version thereof)
It's a hard 11 hour drive from Vegas to Yosemite.
Do what ever you want in California
Come back through Utah - if southern route (back toward Vegas) do Zion/Bryce and Mesa Verde (in Colorado)
Come back through Utah - if northern route ( I - 80) do Arches/Canyonlands and Mesa Verde

Having been to all of them (more than once) the the most beautiful place to me is driving state road 128 along the Colorado River outside of Moab Utah.
Puts Sedona to shame - but Sedona markets itself while the other place really does not!
Where's your home in the area? Phoenix is south of Flagstaff & Sedona. Anyway, we visited Montezuma's Castle a couple of years ago, and M-Well. Nice, but I've taken them to all the ruins they want to see for a while I think. Grand Canyon is on our list, yes - and we'll stop at the new lookout to view Hoover Dam now that they have the new bridge that wasn't there last time I went with them. I read you can't see the dam from the drive over, but they have pull outs on both ends where you can park and view.

Bryce & Zion NPs sound appealing. I hadn't noticed how close they are to Vegas, but it'd be a big stretch to add to this trip - and I hate to drop anything, unless we fly to Vegas to head west as we really hope - then we might include those with the Grand Canyon & Sedona on another trip.

Capture.jpg

There is so much to see out west, and I guess most American never do. I guess we're lucky to live this close.

Home in northern Scottsdale, just south of Carefree.

I suggest Montezuma's castle to folks as an introduction to "ruins". It's small and does not take alot of time and if the group really likes it then you can add more ruins later. If the group does not really care for it then you know not to add more ruins and the stop cost you very little in the way of time or money.

Home in northern Scottsdale, just south of Carefree.

I suggest Montezuma's castle to folks as an introduction to "ruins". It's small and does not take alot of time and if the group really likes it then you can add more ruins later. If the group does not really care for it then you know not to add more ruins and the stop cost you very little in the way of time or money.
Good idea. :thumb:

I started them on ruins one summer vacation trip to western NM with the Acoma Sky City, Chaco Canyon, Bandelier Monument, and nearby sites, and we've done a few since - including Montezuma's Well & Castle, Wupatki NM. I don't guess we have any Pre-Columbian ruins in this trip.

Nothing like a family vacation to create memories, especially for the younger ones in the group.

Sounds like you have something for everyone in your itenerary. In regards to Sedona, two things to consider that might give you some relief from the shopping, is there is a natural water slide created by the rocks in the canyon just outside of town up the canyon, might be a great diversion especially if there are young ones in the group. (used to be just a pull off on the side of the road when I was a kid, I think it's actually a protected state park now) Also a lot of westerns and other movies were filmed around Sedona, (John Wayne Comancheros, 3:10 to Yuma) so you might enjoy exploring that aspect. You can find info on both of these things by googling it if you're not aware of them or want to see what they are all about.

6041563093_7a7eecdf29_z.jpg

Found it, 4 miles north of town, near the famous DQ: Arizona State Parks: Slide Rock: Home Looks like fun. I think the granddaughter & her mom want to do manis & pedis in town, tho. If I went in alone, I'd look like an old perv, I think. An idea tho...

If you enjoy 4-Wheeling, my husband has a sponsor on his jeep forum in Sedona that rents very nice jeeps. There's a great park there with trails that even I can drive and enjoy! Very fun!
I also know of a really nice B&B in Sedona, I think they take families.

Alot of the places in Sedona think very highly of themselves - or it certainly seems that way when you look at prices.

I am thinking by Day-9 and over 2,000 miles, I'm going to see how late we can check out and chill at the resort several miles upstream. Maybe I can find an electric outlet under a tree and edit trip pics? I've tried that in the pickup while rolling and was just too cramped, so I sleep a lot - but I sleep well with others driving. Let the kids explore Sedona, and if they want to do lunch in town - I'll hike out to the road with a sign: "Meeting my kids in town" and see if someone will give me a ride?

Back
Top Bottom