Another Newbie Q - wrist or console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you all are super - a little more about me and my future plans -

56 yr old - new diver - 3 teenagers - live in Wv - limited time and money to travel

I figure that the "big trips" will probably be to Outer Banks, Cooper River, etc. when I get more experience. I will probably also do quarries, Mt. Storm,and If we ever get the $$ for another cruise or a week in Coz - do warm water diving

because of my age and real life stuff I don't see tech diving in my future atm

Current gear is fins, mask wetsuit weight belt and an Atmos Sport BC on the way from Scubatoys - I chose this because of the price ($100) and the fact that I used one in my dive training and it seemed to work fine for me

I've talked ot my LDS about stuff and would like to throw them as much business as I can esp for regs, etc.

they are recommending the Mares x12 and rebel octo - which I also used in training - but their selection of computers is pretty limited and their prices are obviously LDS prices

thanks again for all the feedback

I like a BIG FAT CONSOLE preferably festooned with at least 3 or 4 things to look at, and in designer colors. If at all possible it should have either no snap or a plastic one that will break off at first usage, so it can drag across the reef and stir things up and do some damage.

At least this is what I always seem to get when I get rental gear.

Consoles are bad in general IMHO, they conceal damage and facilitate corrosion. My brass SPG does not have a boot after the first time I opened it and found green crud all around the connection. My computer and compass are one on each wrist.

For me this is not about "tech diving" this is just a better way. A simple brass SPG with a loop of line to attach the snap is all you need for a "console", and any shop can supply you that. A LDS will sell you whatever you have the sense to ask for, you do not have to buy packaged setups, and there are many reasons not to. I like a lot these "bungie" ideas for wrist-mount it's really suprising the LDS typically sell these whacky strap-setups and look at you like you are crazy when you mention substituting bungie.

ended up going with a package from scubatoys - Mares MR12, Mares Viper Octo, Atmos2 console with compass and d/l cable - nice price and they sure are friendly folks.

figure if I ever want to move to a wrist/spg setup my wife or #1 son can always use this rig :)

thanks for all the feedback!

When I am doing an ascent, holding up my be inflator to control ascent, I find that haveing a depth guage on my left wrist real handy. I can just glance at my arm (which is right there holding the inflator) and see whats going on. Since I use a vytec I can also judge my ascent rate, and whether I am at or nearing my ascent ceiling.

Reaching down and grabbing a console and holding it at the same time seems, to me, to be problematic.

Wrist computer's easier to get near your face so you can see it, and if someone steals it, you can still dive without it because you've got a fully functioning console. My compass is on my console and I find it inconvenient compared to on my wrist, but for how often I use it it's ok to stay there.

With a wrist, you can watch depth while holding on to ascent/descent line, and keep other hand on inflator.

If you get console, you can get wrist strap later and switch.

Check scuba.com for consoles, Aeris XR-1 w/ compass = $235, or they have a Tusa pressure and compass for $90,

and Leisure Pro has aeris XR-1 wrist on sale for $149 w/free shipping right now (orders over $50) .

I am "Mr. bargain" though.

Cheaper models don't have backlight for night,
or download-to-computer capability.

My wife and I have VEO 180 NX consoles with compass bought before recent price increases. (backlight + download, download kit was $90)

ended up going with the Atmos2 Console+compass+download cable, Mares K12 +Viper Octo from Scubatoys - got the whole package for a little over $600 shipped which seemed pretty reasonable - picked up a timex helix watch off fleabay as a backup.

I'll stick with my Aeris AI console with QD and compass....for now. When I get a new computer (couple of years), I'll likely go hoseless and have a wrist mount then. :D

My vote is for wrist mount. The mobility aspect is what I like. I like having all the info on my wrist when I am logging and planning dives or down loading info. It does take some getting use to, having info in two places while diving, but you get used to whatever you are diving with. Also when flying, I take my computer on the plane with me. I am not worried about someone stealing regs out of my bag, but electronics are a different thing.
I would take a look at the Suunto Mosquito. You get alot for the money and Suunto has conservative (safe) programming. That is more important than where your computer is located while you are diving.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom