another take on Don's Essentials of Rec from the weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt, great report. I especially like this bit.

...This was followed by doing this in front of the dreaded camera for the critique later. And to my surprise, the critiques weren't as bad as I thought they were. I was far from perfect, and I knew that, but it was always refreshing to know that I'm doing something right amongst all the things I'm doing wrong....

One of Don's special skills is doing the video critique in a positive way. I very much appreciated how he would highlight what we did well just as much as how we might improve.

I hope to join you on a dive sometime and practice these new skills. And maybe I'll do some clench training on the floor before my next dive. :)

Nice to read your report, Don is great at offering constructive criticism and highlighting some of the more light-hearted moments of diving (MG and Eric G probably remember exactly which one I am thinking of :wink: ) while still getting a lesson across clearly.

Have fun and enjoy the skills. They may seem awkward for a while, but working on them consistently through every dive (ie using the frog, mod frog, and mod flutter vs just flutter kicking all the time) turns them from work to comfort in a short while. It didn't hit me until several months later when everything clicked and WHAM I felt so...good...about my diving.

Peace,
Greg

Thanks for the info Greg. I'm definitely looking forward to practicing the keys and trying to stay in trim. And I really can't wait until the "Eureka!" moment hits when things click. I just need to get my own pair of paddle fins now

Nice to read your report, Don is great at offering constructive criticism and highlighting some of the more light-hearted moments of diving (MG and Eric G probably remember exactly which one I am thinking of :wink: ) while still getting a lesson across clearly.

Have fun and enjoy the skills. They may seem awkward for a while, but working on them consistently through every dive (ie using the frog, mod frog, and mod flutter vs just flutter kicking all the time) turns them from work to comfort in a short while. It didn't hit me until several months later when everything clicked and WHAM I felt so...good...about my diving.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom