Another vicious beast removed from the ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thank goodness, another vicious beast removed from the ocean.

Giant shark tourist attraction hammered

ABC News

By Brigid Andersen

Updated Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07pm AEST

The carcass of a giant hammerhead shark would be better off used for science, instead of as a tourist attraction at a Queensland "Shark Hunter" museum, conservationists say.

The monster hammerhead, weighing in at 1,200 kilograms and measuring five metres long, was caught off the New South Wales coast last month.

It had reportedly hooked itself while feasting on a smaller shark which had already been snagged by a fishing boat.

This week, Hervey Bay-based "shark hunter" Vic Hislop bought the shark and moved it to Queensland, where he is reportedly thinking of turning the massive sea creature into a tourist attraction at his shark museum.

But the Australian Marine Conservation Society says the shark would be better off elsewhere.

The society's marine campaigner, Ben Birt, says Mr Hislop's museum does not promote the right message about conservation.

"Using it for conservation in a well-regarded, accredited museum, that is focused on education and conservation is not a bad thing," he said.

"But Vic Hislop's museum is not one at where the message is about shark conservation. It doesn't promote that, so it's not likely to be used in a positive way that's going to be to the benefit of the species.

"You need to visit his museum to get an understanding. But he's certainly not interested in or focused on the reality, which is that sharks all over the world, including here in Australia, are in quite serious decline.

"They face several threats - the major one being fishing - and really the message should be that they need to be conserved and not hunted."

Big appetite

Before the shark was killed, it would have spent most of its time in deeper water, Mr Birt says.

But he says it is also common for the species to stray into shallow water, close to beaches.

Mr Birt says being as large as it was, the shark would have had quite the appetite.

"The general diet would be anything that's smaller than itself really that it would come across in the marine environment, so something that would fit in its mouth relatively easily," he said.

But, luckily for swimmers, Mr Birt says humans do not rate highly on the culinary cravings of hammerhead sharks.

He says there are very few cases of hammerhead attacks on humans and they much prefer dining on other marine creatures.

"So other smaller sharks, other bony fish, squid, and it would often feed fairly near the bottom, so it would eat rays and probably the odd crustacean," he said.

Mr Birt says it is regrettable that the hammerhead was killed. He says judging by its size, it was probably a mature female.

"Obviously the importance of large females like that to the population is very high," he said.

"Hammerheads as a general rule have declined quite considerably all over the world, including in Australia.

"While it's quite difficult to get an exact estimate on how many there are left, some scientists estimate they've declined by about 90 per cent worldwide."

ABC News Online has tried to contact Vic Hislop's shark museum.

I think the article presents a fairly balanced picture all things considered. I don't recall ever hearing of swimming being attacked by monster hammerheads so they could have left that out.

But WOW, a 5 metre long hammerhead. Wouldn't you just flip if you saw that? The biggst shark I ever saw diving was about 3 metres and I thought it was HUGE.

R..

Damn thats a big a$$ shark

Yeah. I just Googled him. It would be best if his "species" went extinct.

Unfortunately, in the minds of most people, the (internal) world is an unimaginable chaos of uncontrollable internal chatter and emotions. Some people are driven by those emotions. Emotions such as fear. Evidently Vic Hislop is one of those. Sadly, the human race hasn't evolved one iota on this front in the last 2500 years so we're going to have to put up with people like Vic Hislop for the foreseeable future. We just have to accept that and find a mode in which to deal with it.

I still think the article was OK though.

R..

Did you see the photo in the article? What a manificent animal. So sad to see it killed like that. I saw a 12-foot hammerhead on a wall dive in the Bahamas about 6 years ago, haven't seen one since. Makes me so sad.

There was an earlier article where readers could make a comment.

Here's what I wrote, unfortunately it doesn't look as though they published it. :idk:

Wow! An amazing photograph of truly prehistoric beast from a time long since past. It's incredible to think there are any of these left! I think it should be frozen and put on display as a relic of ancient times and a reminder to all of the hideous creatures that once inhabitated this planet.
Regarding the shark, it should have been left in the water. It was never going to hurt anybody. Hyslop, you're not doing anyone any favours.

There was an earlier article where readers could make a comment.

Here's what I wrote, unfortunately it doesn't look as though they published it. :idk:

Well played! They need to post that, truly brilliant statement.

I grew up in Oz and it's sad to think that there is still such a stigma attached to shark there. I remember the "Do not swim, Great Whites in area" signs. They scared me out of scuba for decades. Now I know better and love to swim with shark.

That shark looks like a Scalloped Head which are endangered and I thought protected. Oh that's right the CITES candidates, after enjoying their Bluefin Tuna feast, thought they weren't worth preserving!

Hammerheads are specifically prized for Shark Fin soup because the fins melt nicely into a noodle like consistency when placed in boiling water.

I'm betting that arse Hislop will sell the fins and make a tasty profit then mount the head on his living room wall next to his "I've caught bigger".
His great-grand kids will be so proud!

That catch is a waste! When people learn that sharks pose no harm we will be better off. Im sure that shark would never have attacked a person as the Hammerhead Shark shys away from humans! Go fish for trout instead of sharks! Continue to eat sharks and shark fin soup - mercury cause many different illnesses such as sexual disfunction. There should be a worldwide ban on shark fishing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom