Another video...from the DIR trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting the video, Dan. Wish I was able to join the trip, looks like some really great dives during the trip.

Thanks for posting the video, Dan. Wish I was able to join the trip, looks like some really great dives during the trip.

Glad you liked it!
We will be planning a new DIR Adventure Dive Trip in the next 3 to 5 weeks...the format will be more fun, more demo opportunities for DIR gear, and with none of the instructor to student tension that comes from mixing a fun group with a group being actively trained.

This will be a trip where "most" of the dives will be South of the Palm Beach inlet, concentrating on the spectacular colors and corals found on reefs like Breakers, Horseshoe, Pauls, and with some pretty cool / non-traditional ways of exploring these incredible areas. One of the cool aspects to this southern area is the multi-depth potential of this area...there is the offshore deeper side you can start in, where depths can reach 95 feet or so, on the offshore ledge....which you can cruise for 5 minutes or so, then swim UP the wall like offshore ledge, to the crown - this being at a depth of about 40 feet deep... The crown is narrow -you can swim across from the offshore side to the inshore ledge in just a few minutes--and the crossing is over a beautiful area where turtles sleep, lobsters hide, and big green morays will pose with you -:)

Inshore ledge goes from a top of about 40 feet deep, to a bottom of between 55 and 65, depending on how far south toward Delray we go. The inshore ledge is a great spectacle, all by itself.
For surface intervals, one thing we may enjoy in some of our dive site areas is having the boat run out into the blue water areas where sailfish are commonly found, and some of us that are inclined, wil be jumping in with mask, fins and snorkels ( and cameras) ...

I would like to hear from some of you guys on how much lead time you would need for this trip...3 weeks, 4, 5, whatever...we will have excellent hotel rates special for this, no one will need a rental car, and we now have a special diver menu the Hilton created for us ( special breakfast and dinner menu for diver's....now called the Diver Down Cafe)

Let me know what you think -:)

Dan,

Thanks for arranging this. I think that 4 weeks would be a happy medium.
Do the logistics support doubles or shall we dust off our STAs?

Dan,

Thanks for arranging this. I think that 4 weeks would be a happy medium.
Do the logistics support doubles or shall we dust off our STAs?
If we use a boat called Narcosis, it is so large and roomy that you could have doubles for one dive, and then have another single tank, and just change the wing...in other words, there is huge storage space, and there is huge room left where you are sitting....to put it in perspective--Even with the very long DiveR freedive fins you've seen me wearing, I can sit comfortably anywhere on this boat with my fins on, and easily walk up to the platform with them.
Maybe I can arrange to get a bunch of demo singles ( 30 pound wings and sta's) for anyone without.... Who would need/want this ?
Also, Narcosis is big enough to handle us bringing several scooters without them being in the way :)

I'd like this trip to be "more" about singles tank diving, so we can take better advantage of the kind of trips typically run in Palm Beach...Night dives, three tank and lunch dives, and easy logistics. However, I now have an optimal system in place for filling and transporting doubles....Pura vida divers banks 34% normally, but will switch to 32% for us if needed...and with them, we can back a truck up to the back of their shop, and they have huge long fill whips that will extend right out into the back of the truck--making fills a breeze!!!! And, I can even have them PICK UP AND TRANSPORT THE TANKS!!!!:D
Pura Vida also operates a 12 pack boat I would use for some night dives for those who would want this, and also for some very cool LightRoom and Color Management Workshops (so that masterpiece photo on your computer screen, actually PRINTS exactly like it looked on the screen..instead of being way to dark, saturation wrong, etc., etc.....This is a workshop series we may run concurrent with the DIR trip, so you could "mix and match" what you want to do.'

Also, Narcosis is big enough to handle us bringing several scooters without them being in the way :)
Thank goodness! Swimming is sooo 1993.

I would gladly pay a bit extra to have the extra space for DPVs.

Damn, I wish I could afford a camera like that.
Great video.

My old stomping grounds. Thanks for sharing. !

I just stumbled on this thread. Are there any more details about this trip? I missed the last one and would like to join this one. Also, I would like to get my newly certified wife out on some more reef dives at various depths (we have been doing the bridge recently but she did get out with me on the reef-clean up at 80'). Our gear set-up is DIR (single tank) and almost complete except no can lights yet (ran out of $$$) but I guess we can rent those. We have not yet had a chance to get fundies training but we would like to meet up with other DIR divers.

Dan, can you start a new thread on this trip so we can follow it along?

I just stumbled on this thread. Are there any more details about this trip? I missed the last one and would like to join this one. Also, I would like to get my newly certified wife out on some more reef dives at various depths (we have been doing the bridge recently but she did get out with me on the reef-clean up at 80'). Our gear set-up is DIR (single tank) and almost complete except no can lights yet (ran out of $$$) but I guess we can rent those. We have not yet had a chance to get fundies training but we would like to meet up with other DIR divers.

Dan, can you start a new thread on this trip so we can follow it along?

Yes....i will start one saturday :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom