Anthony's Key Resort Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottsdaleSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have some specific questions if anybody knows...
1. Off the wall question, but can you flush the TP? (l know you cannot at Sea Grape)
2. Is the restaurant now at ground level? (I heard it was once up a lot of stairs)
3. Can you completely trust the drinking water at the resort?
4. How much for local beer at the resort?
5. Can you snorkel directly from the resort, and is it worthwhile?
6. Can you walk to a grocery/liquor store?

Thanks!

1. Off the wall question, but can you flush the TP? (l know you cannot at Sea Grape)
2. Is the restaurant now at ground level? (I heard it was once up a lot of stairs)

Thanks!
1. There is a trash can in the bathroom, but they also have a pretty decent septic system. Use the trash can if you remember, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal if you don't.
2. Yes, it is on ground level next to the docks, just past the registrations office.
3. It's okay to brush your teeth with, but I'd recommend bottled water. Best to ask when you get there but
AKR does have some of the most updated facilities.
4. I don't drink beer so I can't accurately answer this question, but I'm thinking somewhere around $3-$4. Mixed drinks vary depending on what you order.
5. The snorkeling area is over at Bailey's Key, which they will transport you to with the tender that takes you back and forth from the dock area to the bungalow/pool key.
6. No, none are close enough to walk to. But you can take a taxi into West End for around $5 each way.

If someone has any better answers, I'm sure they'll be along any moment.

1. There is a trash can in the bathroom, but they also have a pretty decent septic system. Use the trash can if you remember, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal if you don't.
2. Yes, it is on ground level next to the docks, just past the registrations office.
3. It's okay to brush your teeth with, but I'd recommend bottled water. Best to ask when you get there but
AKR does have some of the most updated facilities.
4. I don't drink beer so I can't accurately answer this question, but I'm thinking somewhere around $3-$4. Mixed drinks vary depending on what you order.
5. The snorkeling area is over at Bailey's Key, which they will transport you to with the tender that takes you back and forth from the dock area to the bungalow/pool key.
6. No, none are close enough to walk to. But you can take a taxi into West End for around $5 each way.

If someone has any better answers, I'm sure they'll be along any moment.
Thanks for the info. Regarding beer, I've read that people stock up during a rumored 2-for-1 happy hour.

Thanks!
4. Can't say the cost at AKR. I only go for the clinic and the shop. But you can go to town and buy some.
6. It's actually less than a mile to Sandy Bay where you can buy beer. And while West End is not a short walk (4.1km), I have walked from AKR to West End with my sister. Unless the safety level in Roatan has changed, I would say you could walk to the store.

6. It's actually less than a mile to Sandy Bay where you can buy beer. And while West End is not a short walk (4.1km), I have walked from AKR to West End with my sister. Unless the safety level in Roatan has changed, I would say you could walk to the store.
Looks like there is a grocery store 1.3 km (0.8 mi) walk. Also "Pulperia Isabel" even closer, though it looks more like a roadside shack than a store.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 7.34.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 7.39.12 AM.png

Looks like there is a grocery store 1.3 km (0.8 mi) walk. Also "Pulperia Isabel" even closer, though it looks more like a roadside shack than a store.

View attachment 841312
Many of them do look like that. And there are probably a few closer where you can buy beer. But honestly if you're going into a town for a bit, it's worth going to West End for a visit. You can also get a collectivo (bus) back from West End to the entrance to AKR. It's cheaper than a taxi but tip the driver. :)

View attachment 841312
View attachment 841313
One other thing, depending on how you are getting to AKR, many people ask to stop at Eldon's in Coxen Hole on their way from the airport. Some drivers allow that. You can stock up there too ... along with getting snacks and other groceries you would want for your room.

According to the menu I found on the website, beers are $4 for local and $5 for imported. There are happy hours some days with 2 for 1 drinks. Water in the resort is safe; there are also water coolers where you can fill your bottle with cold purified water. The higher end bungalows have a mini fridge if you want to keep something cold.

One other thing, depending on how you are getting to AKR, many people ask to stop at Eldon's in Coxen Hole on their way from the airport. Some drivers allow that. You can stock up there too ... along with getting snacks and other groceries you would want for your room.
That is a great idea if taking a taxi from the airport. It's not far from the airport and only minimally out of the way for the driver. It's the second most modern grocery store that I know of on the island, the first being the Eldon's in French Harbor. But that one is a lot out of the way. There are also some gas station/convenience stores between the airport and AKR that are nice and right on the way. One is just past the road going to the landfill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom