Antigua: Dive boat leaves behind two scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question. I've not been to Antiqua. But all of the regular Caribbean sites I've been to have lots of boat traffic. Is there only the on boat operating there?

I'm disgusted at the sensationalized reporting. But what else can you expect. It must have been a horrible ordeal for those divers and there is definitely neglect on the part of the operator.

But reading these kinds of incidents just cements what I already do for myself and gives me ideas for better communication. As Catherine would say, talk to the captain. Let him know you are on board. Talk to the DMs and other divers.

One thing I always do is look around the boat to do an informal head count myself, just in case. I know that once a year vacation divers don't always think of these things.

BladesRobinson:
The divers might share some of the blame for possibly not returning after a designated time (pure speculation here) but the crew members are ultimately responsible. With only 13 or so passengers aboard, it totally amazes me that an instructor and two dive masters can't keep track of this realitively small number of clients.
I disagree...

Regardless of the number of divers, regardless of ANY boat dive circumstance, if a couple of the divers don't check in, it's 100% the responsibility of the Op to make sure everyone's on board, and if not, to initiate a SAR...

Those two guys should *OWN* that Dive Op at the end of this story...

I'm guessing they probably would have died if they didn't have wives to ask where they were?

occrider:
I'm guessing they probably would have died if they didn't have wives to ask where they were?

Almost definitely, they were near drowning when found. At least it had a "happy" ending. I agree with an earlier post, I will dive with Sandals after this. 1) they fired the bad apples 2) I wouldn't be suprised if every Sandals dive op will be forced to do roll call/check ins. And 3) those Brits might own it and make it safe for everyone!

Inexcusable. There should never be a reason for this. You would think dive ops would have gotten the message by now. Perhaps if enough divers boycott dive ops that don't have a check in system. Dive shops that sponsor trips and instructors who teach should encourage tourists and students to demand one.

Considering how many times folks get left behind, I really don't understand why any dive operator would rely on head counts. Roll call is the only way to go! It's a no brainer! That way you're either there or your not!

Actually that dive operation is probably the best one in the world to dive with at this point.

At least till the scare wears off.....

ETA: Why were they "near drowning" after 5 hours in the water? Did the BC's they were wearing have leaks? Not being sarcastic, just cant understand...am I missing something? I mean a bc is as good as a life jacket when you're on the surface.

I always make sure to introduce myself to the DM and the Cap't. I introduce myself to the other guests. Then I usually make it a point to ASK how they take roll call/ head count and to please make sure I'm back on the boat. The crew will usually laugh, but they will remember me. I also take a mental roll call of all the other divers even though it's not my job.
I'm glad these guys were found, though it sucks that the media had to sensationalize the story with the whole "shark-infested waters" angle. As if being left to drift in the open sea wasn't sensational enough. Anyone know how and why two of the four crew members were reinstated after?

shannonjon22:
I always make sure to introduce myself to the DM and the Cap't. I introduce myself to the other guests. Then I usually make it a point to ASK how they take roll call/ head count and to please make sure I'm back on the boat. The crew will usually laugh, but they will remember me. I also take a mental roll call of all the other divers even though it's not my job.
I'm glad these guys were found, though it sucks that the media had to sensationalize the story with the whole "shark-infested waters" angle. As if being left to drift in the open sea wasn't sensational enough. Anyone know how and why two of the four crew members were reinstated after?

I also make a point of introducing myself to the DM and captain and I also ask them to make sure im back on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom