Antigua in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings-

I'll be at the Sandals resort in Antigua from 2006-04-15 to 2006-04-21. I'm looking for a few things with this post.

First, has anyone been to that resort, and do you have any tips or comments on what I can expect?

Second, I understand that the diving on that portion of the island is pretty poor. If anyone has done any diving as part of a stay at this resort, are there any thoughts that will make things more enjoyable? Here's the list of dive spots that may be available to us:

Billy's Grotto (52ft)
Jettia's Wreck (25ft)
Boon's Reef (30ft)
John's Cave at Ariadne Shoal (57ft)
The Chimney (80ft)
Snapper's Ledge (80ft)
Pillars of Hercules (70ft)
Pillars (36ft)
Mary K (42ft)
Stereo Reef (36ft)
Horsheshoe Reed (36ft)
Monk's Head (47ft)
Try Reed (30ft)
Papaya Channel (36ft)
Sandy Island Barge & Knoll (47ft)
Sandy Island Ridge (42ft)
Wreck of Joe Young (40ft)
Jewel Box at Sandy Island (25ft)
Bluff Cut (50ft)

Finally, anyone know of a reputable dive operation that I could hook up with that could get me to something better?

Look for posts by MaraGirl. She's local on the island, and has made some suggestions as to dive ops to try. You might also try a PM to her about the specific sites.

Sandals is located on the north side of the island which sits on a sandy shelf so it is reef diving and our reefs are still making their way back from the 2 bad hurricanes we had in the mid 90s. That is not to say that it is all bad but it has contributed to Antigua's rep for so-so diving.
Also, Sandals does not dive Pillars nor Pillars of Hercules as they are located in English Harbour which is on the other side of the island from Sandals. They are both nice sites as is the Ariadne Shoal.
I've always maintained that English Harbour has the better diving here in Antigua and 2ops that are located there are AntiguaScuba Center (www.antiguascuba.com, email: info@antiguascuba.com) which is, now, in Nelsons Dockyard, next to HQ2 and Aquanaut Divers (email: aquanaut@candw.ag) which is on Dockyard Drive. If you search thru some of my old posts, you will more details. Hope that helps

MaraGirl:
Also, Sandals does not dive Pillars nor Pillars of Hercules as they are located in English Harbour which is on the other side of the island from Sandals. They are both nice sites as is the Ariadne Shoal.
I've always maintained that English Harbour has the better diving here in Antigua and 2ops that are located there are AntiguaScuba Center (www.antiguascuba.com, email: info@antiguascuba.com) which is, now, in Nelsons Dockyard, next to HQ2 and Aquanaut Divers (email: aquanaut@candw.ag) which is on Dockyard Drive. If you search thru some of my old posts, you will more details. Hope that helps

Thank you both for the replies. I'll reply here instead of in a PM so that other people can search for the info.

Are those dive sites, and the dive operators, within a decent travel distance from the resorts? I've been to a few of their web-sites already (thank you!), but don't have a feel for the geography yet.

What do you recommend for exposure protection in April? Wetsuits, or will something like a neoprene top work?

Finally, have you had any experience with the resorts to the extent that you can speak to the type of equipment they use? I own most of my own equipment and would like to bring it, but if theirs is quality stuff (which I doubt), I'd rather leave the extra luggage at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom