Any advice on diving in/around St. Thomas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes sense - I didn't look at St. John. Be easy to get over there early on the morning ferry from St. Thomas also.

Did some more googling and found Patagon Dive Center - at the Ritz-Carlton, they have the Rhone as dive #9 on their map.

Thanks everyone, for all the useful info. We're definitely going to dive the Rhone while we're in the area, and taking a ferry seems to be our best option. I think we've got our choices narrowed down to Aquaventures, Sail Caribbean Divers, and Dive Tortola--all based in Road Town. Does anyone have any advice regarding any of them? I assume one would be as good as the next.

OK, I knew I wasn't crazy - these guys in St John still advertise the trip to the Rhone.

Cruz Bay Watersports - Wreck Diving

I would highly recommend Cruz Bay Watersports for the Rhone trip.

I am not to sure about the ferry schedule to Roadtown and back, it might be tight to make connections with a Roadtown based Dive Operator:depressed:

Thanks everyone, for all the useful info. We're definitely going to dive the Rhone while we're in the area, and taking a ferry seems to be our best option. I think we've got our choices narrowed down to Aquaventures, Sail Caribbean Divers, and Dive Tortola--all based in Road Town. Does anyone have any advice regarding any of them? I assume one would be as good as the next.

Sail Caribbean is actually out in East End - good outfit, but I don't think times would work for you. You could probably walk to Aquaventures from the ferry if you knew which way to go - Dive Tortola you would probably need a taxi as they are on the edge of town.

I've seen Cruz Bay Watersports boats out on the RMS Rhone for dives recently on a couple of different days, so I can say they are still doing the trip. They may have a minimum requirement for the number of people on the boat, so check with them in advance, but the dive is well worth doing.

None of the shops in St Thomas do a scheduled trip to the Rhone anymore. The only person who I know of is Collette who has a small operation in St John (the name eludes me). She can be reached at 340-776-1057. Her boat is small enough and fast enough that she will take small groups to the Rhone.

Last edited:
I got to dive the Rhone in Tortola a few weeks ago and it was a great experience. You'd probably enjoy that one if you can get there. The highlight was the giant green Moray eel hiding in part of the ship's wreckage (a 6-footer). If I can learn how to post a picture, I'll share.

Caleb

Attachments

• PICT0295A.jpg
    PICT0295A.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The highlight was the giant green Moray eel hiding in part of the ship's wreckage...
I'd like to see it.

A quick way is to click the Go Advanced button at the bottom of the quick reply window and then the Manage Attachments button. At the top of the window hit Browse, find the file on your computer then hit Upload.

Save your post and the file while be an attachment at the bottom. For storing multiple pictures - as a member you have PhotoGallery space on Scubaboard, it's accessible via the PhotoGallery tab in the menubar at the top of every SB screen.

You can also link to images you've previously stored on sites like Photobucket etc. That's the 2nd option in Manage Attachments.

Just got back from St. Thomas...lovely weather! I always dive with Admiralty Dive Center. They know all the sites, and what's best for the weather conditions. We did a great dive schedule this time, and the people there (Duane, Laura & John) are all great to work and dive with...very easy going. I saw a baby nurse shark AND got almost nose-to-nose with a 4-5 foot nurse shark. And we saw several large drum fish...their shop's logo :eek:)
I had just purchased a new Bella women's BC before going and Duane changed out my power inflator hose for me right on board (since I had forgotten to do it before leaving home...last minute trip decision).
They're located right inside the Windward Passage hotel, and parking is no problem. We picked up others at their hotel landing docks. Nice and smooth.
There are great reef and wreck diving in St. Thomas, and you can take the car ferry over to St. John's (from Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie). Just make sure you check the latest times and fares...they were getting ready to change according to the local newspaper.
Have a great time!! The worst day diving is still better than the best day working :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom