Any advice on which liveaboard please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsavcom

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm hoping for a local opinion (someone who knows the dive sites hopefully) as to whether or not one of these is better than the other, or if there's another option in these areas that might be better.

I had the links, but I haven't posted enough times to be allowed to include them here.

The first is at prodivecairns dot com and it's the 4 day Coral Sea Liveaboard (although it looks like it does spend time at Cod Hole too).

The second is at takadive dot com and it's the 5 day Cod Hole and Coral Sea.

The third is at takadive dot come also and is the 4 day Cod Hole and Northern Great Barrier Reef Tours.

Thanks!

d

Hi d,

I want to try and summarise what is available for diving on Ribbon Reefs and Coral Sea... I hope this helps. There are two main itineraries and three boats that go north out of Cairns.

There are three night trips which dive Ribbon Reefs and Cod Hole or four night trips which also includethe North Coral Sea. You can also combine the two trips for a seven night trip.

Expect excellent diving with marine sightings such as minke whales, hammerhead sharks and manta rays depending on when you get in the water. Being confident in diving in open sea with currents is recommended to do the four night trip.

Boats are Spoilsport, Spirit of Freedom (include low-level flight) and Taka.

When do you plan to go to Cairns?

Like OnTheSpot mentions, if you can afford it do the Coral Sea / Ribbon Reef trips as they have the best diving. Top of the list is Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom.
If you want to go to these sites but want to go little cheaper then pick Taka as it doesn’t include the flight.
Mike Ball has open gate diving which means longer at the dive sites. Spirit has less travel time because you are flying one way up, soless motoring. Having said that Taka still gives more than enough time to have lengthy dives (45 – 60mins) at each site .

Closer to home are the trips to the Outer Ref areas from Cairns which still offer a good variety of diving. These sites are usually shallower and is where a lot of dive course students go for convenience and safety.
Ocean Quest and Scubapro (Pro Dive) are the 2 best.

Here is a link to our site which summarized all the above and may help.

If you need any more local info drop me a private message ‘cos I live in Cairns and have worked on most of these trips and know the sites very well.

Cairns Discount Diving Trips - Overnight Dive Boats

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

Hi!

Thanks so much for your feedback and suggestions. I ended booking the tour prior to receiving your posts, but did opt to do Cod Hole and the Coral Sea. I chose the 5 day with Taka, more because the departure date worked with my itinerary, and because that was always the one I was drawn to, so decided to follow my gut.

Super excited! I leave for Oz next Wednesday...the count down has begun!

Thanks again,
Deon

When do you plan to go to Cairns?

I arrive in Cairns Mar 17, head out with Taka Mar 19, back to Cairns on Mar 23, and fly to Brisbane the next day. It's going to be a crazy, fast pased trip!

If you need any more local info drop me a private message ‘cos I live in Cairns and have worked on most of these trips and know the sites very well.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm new to this site and can't figure out how to private message! lol. Any help please (I'm not used to being the helpless female..haha)? I know I'm going to feel like a moron when you come back with a simple answer, sorry.

Thanks again!
Deon

Hi Dion,

Not a moron at all! Just click on the link at the top right of this page under your user name and it should take you to the message area of your profile. I will write you one now so you should get a notification.

Or just go to our site and you can contact us via there.

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

Deon,

My buddy and I are looking at diving with TAKA in early June. Can you write a trip report to tell us about the trip?

Thanks,
Dan

A trip report would be a great idea :).

We also have just set up a Facebook site where fans can get the updates on specials, standby rates and also get to post reviews on the trips out of Cairns.

So if anyone is interested in getting on the mailing list and also posting reviews would very much appreciate it.

Login | Facebook

Kevin

PS if the above link doesnt work, just login to FB and search for Aquapro Dive Services

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom