Question Any experience with Big Blue AL1300NP light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any experience with the Big Blue AL1300NP light? It will be used mainly for rec diving along reefs or wrecks, and either a primary or back up for night dives. I have an OrcaTorch D550 (1000 lumens) which I like. I'm trying to decide whether to get another D550 or if it's worth the extra expense (~$50) for the Big Blue for slightly increased lumens (1300). I haven't had any problems with the D550 and have had heard good things about Big Blue, but trust SB more than online reviews.

We have them. I prefer the Dive Rite BX2 to that BB though.

What makes you prefer the BX2 to the BB?

It’s brighter, more durable, no push button to fail and I think I could drive over it and it would survive. Also it’s single 18650 with a micro usb port for charging.

I've used the prior generations of the same light (AL1000NP and AL1200NP) for years. Both are going strong. They are my go-to lights and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed one. I like the multiple power settings, rechargeable batteries, and durable constructions. I prefer a push-button light to a twist-on and their buttons are incredibly durable. I've never had an issue with either light. I am also not gentle with them. I have at least one on every dive clipped to my right waist d-ring. They get bounced around as I'm getting on and off boats. They get bounced around in my gear bin. They have held up incredibly well. Not a single complaint.

Does anyone have any experience with the Big Blue AL1300NP light? It will be used mainly for rec diving along reefs or wrecks, and either a primary or back up for night dives. I have an OrcaTorch D550 (1000 lumens) which I like. I'm trying to decide whether to get another D550 or if it's worth the extra expense (~$50) for the Big Blue for slightly increased lumens (1300). I haven't had any problems with the D550 and have had heard good things about Big Blue, but trust SB more than online reviews.
My wife and I have two of them. They get banged around a lot, and never fail. We always have them tucked into our BCDs, and the spot beam really throws a lot of light into ledges and cracks.

But I do keep buying them because I sometimes end up using them as a gift to dive guides at the end of big trips. They are a great light for developing countries because of the removable rechargable battery and USB charging. No disposable batteries to trash in places where there is no garbage service.

I have one and use it for hunting lionfish, has been used and abused and still works great. I tried a few different lights but like the size and weight for the what I use it for, carry it on a retractor on left d ring.

They are fantastic cave backup lights - bright, tight beam, durable, good burn times. They can pass for a recreational primary light. It might not be the biggest or brightest in that capacity, but it will do what you need it to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom