Any recommendations for a family dive vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any suggestions on where I can take my wife and 2 kids. One is 6 years old and the other is almost 2. BTW my wife hates the water so it would have to have beaches and something for these land lubers to partake in.

Hit me ith a Private message if you dont want to waste board space. BTW wifey and I went to Ambergreise this summer and loved it.

I would go to CoCoView resort on Roatan Island in Honduras. The diving is really easy and kid friendly. We saw Sea Turtles last year, which is always a kid favorite. There were families on this trip and the kids seemed to enjoy the diving alot. We did 22 dives and the trip included everything except the alcohol and the departure tax. I booked it with Westfield Water Sports in Mass, which does group and individual travel, and I'm going back again this year!!!

Just got back from Playa del Carmen last week. Just me and the Mrs.

Just booked a spring break trip for us and four kids. We've been to Bonaire and other places with Kids Programs. Our kids are 12 and above. They get bored with those programs. They want to have fun too. Not enough "non-diving" activities on Bonaire. We save that for me and mom when we go alone.

We are using GeoFish (www.geofishdive.com) .
We are staying at one of the All Inclusives (probably Riu Palace) or at one of the Condos at Xaman Ha. The Condo is only $1800 and has a full kitchen (3 BR)

Why Playa del Carmen?
Great Diving. Not as much drift as Cozumel. Lots of turtles (kids like turtles).
No --- it's not Bonaire or Roatan, but it is good diving.
We will do the Mayan Ruins (Coba, Tulum and Chichen Itza)
Xel Ha Park (an eco friendly amusement park) in Tulum
Xcaret Park (even bigger) in Playa
Older teens will love 5th Avenue (lots of trouble to get in there) :wink:
Beach is beautiful and swimmable.
Price --- relatively inexpensive compared to other places in the carib.
Lots of non stop flights into Cancun
Easy to drive around in rental car.
Safe!

Why Geofish?
Small ratios - boat maxes out at 6 people. Saw some other boats with 15 or 20 people on them. Not good with a bunch of kids.
Great dive staff - they do everything; carry weights, tanks and equipment.
They clean the equipment for you.
They store the equipment at the shop.
Nice Tusa rental gear that will fit all the kids. Although my kids have most of their stuff.
They will tailor the trip to fit your needs. Have everything waiting for you before you get there.
They will do a professional video for you and the family to take home.

Hope this helps!

John

Here's something a bit different...

check out these websites:

Discovery Diving Co., Inc. - North Carolina Wreck Diving in the Graveyard of the Atlantic

Atlantis Charters - Diving and Fishing Adventures in North Carolina

Olympus Dive Center

There are various hotels in the area. One is:
Best Western Buccaneer Inn, 2806 Arendell St. (252) 726-3115

There are also others you may want to check out. Discovery also has a bunkhouse for groups, but likely not a good idea with kids. Also, when our group goes there we rent a house. Contact realtors in the area for up to date information on house rentals. Its often cheaper to rent a house for a week than to stay in a hotel, and the houses are much more comfortable.

The Gulf stream comes right up the eastern coast as far as Morehead City/Beaufort, NC. You can expect clear vis (up to 100' or more), water temps in the 70s or 80s, turtles, rays, huge schools of baitfish, amberjack, and other sport fish, lionfish, sand tiger sharks, and the occasional mola mola or pod of dolphins.

With respect to the kids, there are roughly two groups of wrecks: "closer in", and "farther out". Most of the closer in wrecks can be reached by separate boat rides, once in the AM, once in the PM. Depths average 70'-90' for the closer wrecks, up to 110'-130' for the deeper wrecks, except for still deeper wrecks that you won't be going to with the kids.

The point is that North Carolina diving on a good day is world-class, the Morehead City/Beaufort area offers a variety of restaurants and attractions, accommodations can be had at a reasonable price, and no where else in the world can you dive actual World War II wrecks of historical significance in near-Caribbean conditions. The weather can change suddenly, and its possible to get blown out of some diving, but when its on, its awesome.

If I had a couple kids who were interested in seeing both wrecks as well as a broad array of larger sealife, I would try to set up a week of charters out of Morehead City or Beaufort. The closer in wrecks will definitely hold their attention, and - properly supervised - should be safe for the kids to enjoy.

Basic rules apply: under no circumstances should the kids go INSIDE any of the wrecks. There is plenty to see on the outside of the wrecks. These are not deliberately sunk wrecks - they are real, and have in many cases been on the bottom since World War II. Like all wrecks, they are dangerous and are to be respected. So long as the kids do not enter inside them, however, if you have decent weather it would be a vacation to remember.

Regards,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom