Any strong opinions on front mounted pockets (SM)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never tried front mounted pockets as I tend to be squeezing through things if I am diving sidemount. I have pockets on one of my suits mounted to the back of my thighs. Access is easy, they are out of the way. The only downside would be sitting down is a pain.
Bogaerts also prefers pockets on the back

It looks like front mounting them is the worst option actually

Have you considered a scuba fanny park?

Have you considered a scuba fanny park?
I wear a fanny pack when I am sidemount diving. So much nicer than a clip on purse.

Bogaerts also prefers pockets on the back

It looks like front mounting them is the worst option actually
Front mounting is awful - least "slick" choice of all.

Put them on the sides. If the cave is that small that the tiny A-framing you get from having a spool in your pocket is an issue then cram everything in your butt sack or leave it at home.

Put them on the sides. If the cave is that small that the tiny A-framing you get from having a spool in your pocket is an issue then cram everything in your butt sack or leave it at home.
Better start stretching that prison pocket.

Have no idea what you are talking about. But if you are diving stuff as small as Steve was, you don't need to ask about how to store your stuff in thigh pockets or butt pouches on scubaboard. If you aren't the second coming of Boegarts then it doesnt really matter.

Backup lights ok, I don't think the spools and cave arrows are going to be easy.

Backup lights ok, I don't think the spools and cave arrows are going to be easy.
I store backups in my thigh pockets (conventionally attached on the sides of my thighs). A third backup lives on my goodman handle. Backup mask is in my right side thigh pocket (I'm right handed).

Butt pouch is arrows, cookies, and my survey kit. Sometimes I split that mess into a "rarely used" pouch of stuff on my butt and my "commonly used" stuff in a separate pouch on my right-side SM rail. But unless you have a giant wad of arrows, multiple exploration reels, a compass, sketchbook, and a Mnemo... you probably don't really need multiple butt sacks.

now i can only see front mounting being good in very niche scenarios, like for somebody who is diving choptima maybe

I think you should start with determining exactly what you are bringing on dives, and how often you need to access it. Then you can figure out where to store it. For me, I use the butt pouch for stuff I normally don't use during a dive; back up mask, 2nd back up light, safety spool, spare pencil and wetnotes, spare mouthpiece, tools, spare bungee and clips, spare arrows/cookies. The stuff I use regularly on every dive goes on D rings. I just wouldn't have any use for additional pockets.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom