Any tips you could give me on this photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think i am ready to progress to a strobe setup or should I keep increasing my skills with all natural?
depends on the type of shots you want to take. If the type you take needs them, then buy them. If not, then do not buy them. There are lots of people who only take ambient light shots. They need to worry more about the cameras white balance capabilities. Some types of shots (not many...) can be handled by the cameras build in flash.

I use strobes mainly for following types of shots
- deeper shots to reveal true color
- manual controlled strobe only lighting to obtain black backgrounds
- close in macro shots to create shadow effects.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 06:01 PM ----------

This picture Scarlet-Striped Cleaning Shrimp | www.kengiffen.com was taken with a canon elph type P&S using only the built in flash. No strobes required.

Vivid-Pix example.jpg
Hi All, Thanks Tursiops for the recommendation.
Hi Paul, I hope you don't mind - I screen grabbed a 28KB image from the site, but, here's a quick Vivid-Pix Fix before/after shot. With a bigger pic it will look even better. The software is really easy to use - literally just a few seconds/picture. Please give it a shot: Home - Vivid-Pix
Rick

Shoot in raw find a good software for editing raw files and always think 50% of the photo is made in the water and the rest in the computer that's what I've learned in my short experience on underwater photography. In the water focus your attention on composition and subject and get close, you are going to discover that as closer you get closer you need to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IME there is a ton of photos to be made in shallow water without strobes. Most divers go too deep ie.30' and this is where you need the extra light to get olours back in the image. Strobes do add more opportunity to get creative, but for starters you really don't need them... if you stay shallow. Unfortunately my laptop died but maybe check out my old website for what could be done without strobes.
All photos before HERE were without strobes.

Hi Paul, it's great that you're out there shooting and sharing! Did you take this with a gopro?
R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom