any triple-l XL or XXL wet suit owners out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I'm planning on ordering a triple-l wetsuit, I can probably take XL or XXL, I was wondering if anyone who owns either size could tell me their measurements, if it was tight in the arms, shoulders, or calves. I like a wet suit to go on easy, and XL's are usually tight in the arms and calves for me, and XXL's are ok, but slightly too big. (yes, i've looked at their most recent sizing chart). I'm 72 inches, 215 pounds, 38 inch waist, 42-44 chest, big in the shoulders and calves. Just wanted to see what any existing XL or XXL owners thought. I was going to hold off on the custom for now.

thanks!
Scott

Scott:

I am utilizing a XXXL Akona 7 mil suit. I had tried it in a dive shop in San Diego and bought it there. If you look at the size charts for the various manufacturers, they vary greatly and when you reach certain proportions, the fit will vary. My suggestion is to buy from your local dive shop or if you are going over the internet, make certain of the return policy before you buy.

Just for your reference, I am 6' 5", 285 lbs, 46" waist, 52" chest, 35" inseam, and 35" sleeve.

Dan

I have XXL 7mm wetsuit from Triple-L that doesn't fit me. I'm 78 inches, 255 lbs, 43 inch waist (actual measurement, but I wear 38" pants), 44 inch chest. The suit fits:

73 - 75" height
220 - 245 lbs
42 - 45" chest
40 - 43" waist

I'm using a rented Body Glove wetsuit in XXXL that is supposed to fit 72-76 inches, 230-250 lbs. I figured that the Triple-L would work too. Wrong! I can get it on, but it's just too short and tight in the torso. The zippers help get into the forearms and calves, but they are pretty tight too.

I'd return the suit and get a custom one from Triple-L, but the $35 restocking fee plus shipping almost equals the purchase price. Luckily for me, one of the guys from my OW class is interested in it. In the meantime, if you are going to be out near Riverside, you are welcome to try it on.

Scot

I bought a 7mm two piece from them for my kids in XL. It's a little loose on the one whose 5'10, 170 and too small on his bigger brother. I think the suit runs a bit small per their size recommendations. If your in between, look at the 2 pc suits and see if you can mix and match halfs and sizes. All in all, the suits seem well made but the custom cut adds 15% and I've heard of shipping quotes of over $50. At a $150 approx. delivered for a custom suit from Triple-L, you may be closer to something made of a hyperstretch type material.

Just to show you how much body types can vary: I'm 80 inches tall, weigh 265 lbs,have a 52" chest, 40 " waist, and I wear a XXXL. I guess the moral of the story is that you really need to try on the suit in person first. Especially since there is still a lot of variability in wetsuit neoprene-- 'light neoprene', 'heavy neoprene', high-stretch neoprene, etc.----

I bought a henderson 2 piece xxl and it didn't fit me, it did fit my dive buddy, 5'6" 170lbs. based on this info & the handy chart, I ordered an akona 1-piece xxxxl. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs. guess what? it was way too big. My advice is to "try what you buy" ordering off the internet is too risky, as every brand wetsuit i've seen uses different sizing. My brother-in-law has a scubapro xxxl, and his is so tight it's scary. He is 5'11" and 235lbs go figure!!!

most custom suits will fit, the first time, if the measurements are done correctly. If this is done properly the suit will "pop" into place when you put it on. If you body is not "stock" (5'-8" to 5'10"/150-170#) AND you intend to keep that body shape for a 4 or 5 year window the "extra" for a custom suit is well worth it!

Hi Scott,

I use an Akona 7mil jumpsuit size XXL. My size is 74" tall, 48" chest, 36" waist, 19 inch arms.

The suit is tight, but I would not have it any other way. It is not so tight that it is constrictive to breathe. The good side is that water flow is limited, I often dive in waters between 45 - 50 degrees with little discomfort. Short dives 25 - 30 minutes, but no problems.

I wear a large Triple-L 7mm wetsuit. I'm 5'10, 150lbs. 41 chest, 32 waist, big shoulders, small calves.

It's tight on my left arm around the elbow. Only place it feels binded.

Waist is too big, but since there are no seems other than the zipped there, doesn't affect warm.

Goes on easily, and really keeps the water out. You may have trouble with the calves, since they are cut tight in the legs. I have large thighs, and have no problems getting the suit over them.

The XXL might fit you better. They seem to be cut a tad small, and normally, I wear a medium wetsuit. No way would a medium Triple-L 7mm be comfortable on me.

For comparasion, I have a medium Triple-L 3mm shorty that is snug, but is not uncomfortable. I also have a Body Glove medium 3/2 that fits very well.

Even after trying them all on, I'd have chosen the large 7mm.

Xanthro

I dive a XXXL akona 3 mill 1 piece or a XXXl bare next gen drysuit.

They are both snug but I like it like that... nothing worse than a loose drysuit with that air bubble floating around as you work your way through a wreck...

I'm 6'1", 52 chest, 42" waist, about 280#

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom