Anybody here ever....Snowboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love snowboarding.

I echo what Gdenny said.

I was on skiis ever since I was a little kid. Four years ago, I switched to snowboarding.

The first few times trying to snowboard, you will fall lots, no matter how good you are and no matter how quick a learner you are. It will happen and it will hurt.

After that 2nd or 3rd time, you really start to get it. The falls occur much less. By my third time out, I was making it down just fine without falling. By halfway thru that first season on the snowboard, I was snowboarding most of the trails on the mountain. By the 2nd season, I did every trail, jumps in the terrain park and the woods, too.

So, after the first time or two, when you're incredibly sore and can't imagine snowboarding successfully or with any enjoyment, just remember that it takes a few times. Then it really starts to click and it's just loads of fun. It's a very quick learning curve after the first 2-3 times.

As Gdenny said, speed is actually your friend. It may seem counterintuitive at times and scary as you know what, but the speed adds to your stability and makes turning much much easier.

I also think that when trying to learn to snowboard, it's very important to go several times in a row close in time, so you can learn and then quickly build on it. Lessons are vital, and 4 times on the snowboard over the span of 2 or 3 weeks really helps learn it.

Good luck.

Michael

this'll be my 3rd time. Last year i couldn't believe it, I just jumped up and off i went, no fear or nuthen, so im hoping this year, with the lessons, i might just pick up my first mini-air :wink:

well, I will tell you!!!

I started Sand Boarding in the deser when I was about four. Did it until I was twelve and I moved to Baltimore. We ordered boots and snowboards, and the sand treats them better than snow! so the first time I went on snow in Switzerland, it was a lot easier.

Its all about stance, don't do the rockaway, "Lean back, Lean Back.... " (not funny...sorry.) always stay foward, look where you are going. If you are linking turns, imagine that there is a midget (I am sorry this is so politically incorrect) running around with you, and slap him on the head, when you turn switch hands. KEY to sucsess linking your turns, in my opinion. this is called shoulder alignment.

the main difference I think in skiing and boarding, is that skiing is easy to learn, but harder to progress. Boarding is harder to learn, but easier to progress.

Also, falling is skiing is an EPIC. you can play lord of the rings music to ski falls. its a DRAMA!!! but falling on a snowboard is usually just sitting down on your butt or falling on your knees, rather than WOW!!!! LETS TURN! SKI ONE LOST!!!! POLE A LOST!!! SKI TWO LOST AND OOOOHHH!!! THERE GOES THE ACL!!!

the most common injury in snowboarding is a broken wrist- the fist meathod will help a lot. WEAR A HELMET!!!

and- don't use ski pants for boarding- they will get wet in all the wrong places.

Scuba_freak:
Go snoboarding??

I'm about to take some lessons cos im off to the slopes in february. been a couple times, but wanna be a bit more up to scratch this time round!!

SF

SF,

Before scuba diving, i was a snowboard junkee! That's good you're taking lessons. Take your time, try not t go too fast and expect to fall. And when you fall, don't try to catch yourself with your hands or arms. Usually, I cross my arms over my chest and lift up my legs and try to slide either on my belly or my back, depending on which way I fall. That keeps you from breaking any appendages or pulling any muscles. Have fun and wear wrist and knee guards and a helmet for ultimate safety. These days i ride with a helmet, especially when hitting the jumps or the halfpipe.

I've been boarding for 10 years now and every year it gets better. But now that I dive, I spend my time during the week wondering if I'm boarding that weekend or diving. You know, the best boarding and diving days in California are in the winter!

Ericson

aka Da' ScubaJunkee!

yo mossym

Have you checked the Kirkwood site today? 3 feet of snow and still falling. PM me if you want to hook up for a ride in Sentinel Bowl this year. You too Scubajunkie.

Regards,
G

was watching the webcam today...looks sweet...i'll take you up on that gdenny...

you guys make turn green with envy..... ocean and slopes within a decent drive....... aaarrrggghhhh...... I miss the snow and the mountains and just about this time of year every year, snow, where are you? :(

this is killing me, imagine a life where you have to decided whether or not to dive or board at the weekend..... :mad1:

let me put you at ease..i don't have the choice, well only for this week...my reg is in the shop for service, so i can only snowboard..

every other week though, you're right..i wouldn't wish this life on anyone...well except me...:D

Back
Top Bottom