Anybody Here Take Supplements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take a prescription grade multi-vitamin, omega three supplement, an herbal, prescription grade cholesteral lowering supp and if I remember, my glucosamine. Oh, also, magnesium. Swear by it! Good for blood pressure, migraines and muscle soreness.

catherine96821:
I know it is controversial....some supplements more than others.

Still...there is emerging science in favor of some supplements. I know it is a crap shoot to some degree,
Diindolylmethane (new one being looked at at MD Anderson for protective effects for breast cancer) I know, I know...it could be bad for you.
Yep -

Catherine (and others),

I have some first hand information on vitamins and supplements. My late father-in-law was one of the largest private label manufacturers of what have been called nutraceuticals. He made and labeled products for thousands of companies, large and small. My brother-in-law still is in the business. Both made and make a great living doing so. I have witnessed first hand how products are designed, manufactured, flavored, packaged and tested.

No one in his or my family takes anything other than simple vitamin C and B12. Sometimes we use vitamin E for topical use. The bottom line with these products is that they are food. If they actually made any difference the FDA would classify them as a drug. You would not believe the lengths they (the nutraceutical industry) go to in order to insure a product does noting more than simple nourishment. They often are forced to boil herbs (roots, stems, ect) in alcohol to remove any trace of the reactive chemicals found naturally in some of the plants before they are capsulated or pressed into tablets or ground into powders.

Have you ever wondered why herbal tea’s have so many flavors and the flavor is consistent from tea bag to tea bag? There is a reason and it is not the native herbs used.

The only herbs that can be trusted to retain and value are the ones you grow and harvest.

Dave

Undercurrents Magazine had an article saying that divers should take vitamins C & E. I found an A, C & E that I am going to start taking

I stop using supplements now because I've been eating healthy and there really wasn't a need to get anymore supplements. Maybe I'll go back to it when eating terrible again.

Back
Top Bottom