Anybody in the market for a 100' deep pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterSteve:
i dont have 4 million but i'm working on my 2nd million now.... LMAO, i gave up on the 1st million a long time ago. :54:

steve

Smart move...they say the first million is the hardest, so why not just skip it and go to the easier pickings!

archman:
Er... that's Valhalla. Read the post directly above yours.

Oops! I'm a dummy. It was late and I didn't go to link to realize we were talking about the same silo. I actually live here in Abilene and have had a couple of opportunities to dive it but haven't yet. It can be alittle pricey compared to some dive sites, but I've heard it's definitely worth doing at least once. Thanks for the info.

I have dove Valhalla - it is interesting. You get to carry your gear up and down 85 steps, dive in 54* water with absolutely no reference to where you are on your ascent. After a couple of divers in the visibility is practically nothing. And I would do it again in a heartbeat! Now the snake thing has me a little troubled - but I think they are probably out in the area around the Silo.

Becky

did somebody say snakes?

let me get this right... you guys dive in a big concrete pipe with snakes???

In the missile silo near Abilene there are no snakes inside, no rats, mostly nothing at all alive inside due to no sunlight. Only light inside is artifical and it is only on for a few days a month so nothing lives inside. Any critters that sneak in when there are divers die of starvation. But it is Texas, there are shakes outside. The poor vis is due to divers stirring up the insulation, sand, dirt and dust on the bottom and sides. The owner has the water tested regularly. Asbestos is not a hazard when it is wet but I believe the place has been remediated. Diving is safe other then the usual hazards associated with diving. Carrying the gear up and down the stairs is quite a challenge but do able.
The guy that worked there and was on the board no longer works there.

Joe

archman:
That's a joke, right? Rumour has it a rattlesnake snuck down the entry tunnel once years ago... don't know if its true or not. There was also a thread a couple months back claiming rat infestations. Turned out to be totally false.

archman, I got certified in '94 and started buying various dive magazines then. I forget what magazine had the article about this place, BUT there was mention of snakes inside. It was between the summer of '94 and fall of '97 when I moved. (I canceled some subscriptions then to save $$$) I wish I kept those magazines.....

Weeeeell... there aren't any snakes now. There are also stairs in place of the ladders originally used. And more lights. Even this odd toilet that you pump clean... like on boats. Supposedly I'm going there next weekend, so I can report on the "rat situation."

ENOUGH WITH THE SNAKES ALREADY!!!!! :bash:

Back
Top Bottom