Anybody up for a Lake Tahoe dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy BrianM,

My dive computer says the same as yours. As part of your pre-dive equipment check you certainly want to ensure your dive computer is functioning properly. My point was that the computer needs to be turned on at the same altitude as the point where you enter the water.

Ok, that makes sense....yeah if I turned it on here at home (elevation=6') and then drove up to the lake, I wouldn't be able to reset it for the change in altitude.
I just remember seeing the warning in the manual that if you didn't turn it on prior to entering at altitude, the auto turn-on feature doesn't compensate for altitude. I guess that's because you would already be submerged a few feet when it turns on. It wouldn't be a good thing to be diving a computer that thinks you are at sea level when you aren't!!! That's why I am glad I check the tables and write it down on the slate before I get in...just in case I get some really strange numbers on the pooter!

So did you end up diving that weekend? I have been very interested in diving tahoe but havent tried it yet. I was doing some work in SLT last fall and I tried to find a dive shop there but the only one in the book was closed and it looked more like a kayak rental joint than a dive shop.

I just got the word I will be going back to Kings beach or Tahoe City in the next few weeks for work....I would love to do a few dives while I am up there if I can find someone to go with. One of the places I will be staying is a motel that is right on the beach in Kings Beach, but I dont know if that is a good or bad place to dive.

Brian

The most common place to dive at Tahoe is over at Sand Harbor, but it is not terribly interesting. I saw lots of sand, granite boulders and tons of Crawdads. The most interesting thing was doing an underwater teeter-totter on a plank balanced on a rock with my buddy. It was an amusing exercise showing (or reminding) how breathing alone can alter your bouyancy. Sand Harbor is about ~ 10 Miles from Kings Beach, and there is a $6 entry fee.
------------
Rubicon Wall over on the California side is supposed to be a lot more interesting, but I have never dove there. It is at D. L. Bliss State Park (just North of Emerald Bay) Probably a 30 minute drive from Kings Beach.

The main feature is a fabulous rock wall for wall diving. It goes from 15ft depth to 1100ft depth instantly. There is a very steep wall with spectacular rock formations. Should see some very large lake Trout and crawdads feeding on the rock wall.

Two choices for entry / egress:
a) Easy water access from parking lot, but a 300 yard swim to the wall location.
b) Park closer to the wall location: Hike the gear down to the water, then only have about a 30 yard swim.
-------------
I do have some info on some other sites I can PM is you want.
-------------
BTW, if you dive on the Nevada side, you need to have a diver bouy/flag with you (unless you are inside a cordoned off area like Sand Harbor). The bouy/flag is not required (legally) on the California side.
-------------
Of the three shops that I contacted in the area, this one was the most helpful and cooperative.

Sierra Diving Center
104 E. Grove St., Reno, Nevada, 89502, USA,
(775) 825-2147, FAX (775) 825-2164
http://www.sierradive.com/index.htm

They are 45.9 Miles from Kings Beach
Rental Tanks = $6, Nitrox Fills = Yes, any style any mix. = $8.5 ~ 11, Rental Nitrox 32% = $12
----------------
You staying at the Gold Crest? My ski club cabin is just a couple blocks from there in Kings Beach. The Lake was pretty choppy last Saturday (2-7) from the heavy winds. Note that the Lake is typically calm in the mornings, but the chop sets up in the afternoon. (usually)

I will be in Kings Beach the last two weekends in Feb, but I will be geared for ski racing, not diving. Sometimes I spent time below the water, sometimes above the water.

My 47 cents, but only because you asked.

Wristshot

BrianM

Are you a NorCal resident, I am. I live in the Bay Area. We should get together and look into this. My problem is that I'm out of the water until mid-March.(Equipment replacement) But the rubucon wall is supposed to be the best for Tahoe diving. Looking further out, my local dive shop in Santa Clara is scheduling a trip in early June for this wall dive. I don't mean to wimp out. I have a trip planned for Costa Rica and I needed to swap out my well worn BCD. I thought I had better take care of that now.

If we wanted to go earlier, I could rent a BCD. But I would suggest going with a DM that knows this wall dive. That way we are covered for the unlikely event of an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom