Anyone been on the Philippine Siren?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi.

I was on the Philippines Siren for two back to back trips not long ago. I will tell you that their "smallest" cabin is likely bigger than most cabins in any other boat. That ship is very nice. The crew was wonderfully attentive and be prepared to eat mass quantities of fabulous food.

As you will hear often...."and what are you waiting for???"

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did.

I too have been on the Philippines Siren and it is a beautiful boat and the local crew was very good as was the food. However, after the mishaps, boats burning, sinking etc poss of property and diving in dangerous conditions as reported in the latest write up in Undercurrent - I think there are numerous safety issues both with the boats themselves and lack of regard in choosing diving sites that would make me seriously not consider going out with this group of boats again. I agree with the article that these boats are produced and put in to service too rapidly. I doubt that they would pass US Coast Guard regulations. I know they are not US registered, but USCG safety standards are the best in the world. Smoking, no matter wat has been written so far - was awful. Many of the Euros on board have no regard for non smokers.

I have been on over 20 liveaboards and consider the Siren fleet in the top two that I've ever been on. While I've never been on the Philippines Siren, only the Indo Siren, I encountered zero safety issues either with the boat or any dive conditions that we dove in. While the sinking of two boats is extremely unfortunately, and at face value might cause alarm, I can tell you as a former passenger I would recommend them without hesitation. In addition to a safe operation, Worldwide Dive and Sail really understands how to run a liveaboard like few companies do...from the food, atmosphere on board, etc. etc. It's one of the best companies out there.

I agree with the article that these boats are produced and put in to service too rapidly. I doubt that they would pass US Coast Guard regulations. I know they are not US registered, but USCG safety standards are the best in the world.
Those are pretty damning statements there, averagediver!

In what respect do you feel that the Philippine Siren would fail to meet the standards set by the USCG? What specifically did you witness that leads you to this conclusion?

As to your claim that the USCG standards are "the best in the world," I'm pretty sure that nationals of Australia, the UK, France, Japan, Canada, Holland and other seafaring nations feel the same way about the standards imposed by their own regulatory bodies.

Making black and white statements like those two in your quote without supporting details seems rather over the top.

Thank you for your response! Looking forward to coming on board in September. I am trying to figure out what thickness wetsuit to bring... Generally I get cold, but would like to know the average temp in September where we are going in Southern Vistayas. I have a 5 mil and a 3-4 mil (both with other layers i can add on)... also if I bring my 3-4 and get cold, do you have womens wetsuits for loan on board?

Thanks a bunch!

I use a 3 mil and I get cold very easily. I did not get to the area you are going, but suspect that it should be just fine. I always take a core warmer (shorty) to wear underneath, just in case. I never used it in the Philippines. In Coron Bay, we dived in an active volcanic vent. The water got to around 100 degrees. No suit needed there, for sure.
Average, I am surprised you subsribe to rumor mongering. How many Siren boats have you been on? I might trust first hand experience, but only for that particular boat.

Those are pretty damning statements there, averagediver!

In what respect do you feel that the Philippine Siren would fail to meet the standards set by the USCG? What specifically did you witness that leads you to this conclusion?

As to your claim that the USCG standards are "the best in the world," I'm pretty sure that nationals of Australia, the UK, France, Japan, Canada, Holland and other seafaring nations feel the same way about the standards imposed by their own regulatory bodies.

Making black and white statements like those two in your quote without supporting details seems rather over the top.

I'm happy to have a go with that one if you like....

First off, the US is signatory to the rules and regulations of the International Maritime Organization, or IMO, as are all of the other nations you mentioned. It is logical to assume that nations that are subject to IMO regulations are held to a higher standard than nations that are not signatory and let vessels carry passengers willy nilly. Turns out in the case of Canada, at least, their safety rules and regulations don't transfer easily to other jurisdictions. Is this a matter of standards and regulations? I can't answer that, I do know that a Canadian flagged passenger vessel certified by Canada to meet the requirements for international voyages does not meet Panama standards, and Panama will certify any vessel to do anything, practically.

Any vessel flagged from any country trading in the United States must be inspected by the USCG to ensure it meets US standards. If a French flagged freighter wants to pull into the Miami river and load or unload whatever, it must undergo an inspection. That's because no foreign flagged vessel automatically meets US standards. When I was allowed to travel with the Spree on her 2 foreign voyages, one to Colombia and one to Haiti, USCG certification meant that we automatically met the safety standards for Colombia and Haiti, respectively. Being US flagged meant that we automatically surpassed safety requirements for those 2 countries, at least.

Many liveaboard operators choose not to flag their vessels in IMO signatory states. This saves them a tremendous amount of money in fees and inspections. Saving money on fees and inspections would lead one to believe that inspections take place at say more irregular intervals than they might in IMO signatory countries. That doesn't mean that the operator is ignoring important safety issues, it means that there is no one looking over his or her shoulder to ensure that those safety issues are met.

Additionally, US flagged vessels away from the dock for longer than 12 hours must carry a licensed Captain and a Mate who speak English. That means, a crewmember who has passed a course of learning to a measurable standard is in charge of the vessel 24 hours a day. Additionally, one of the deckhands must be designated in writing to be the senior deckhand, meaning that in the event of a complete failure of the captain and mate, a third crewmember can safely navigate the vessel back to land and dock the boat. Other countries captains usually come from the fishing industry which may make for great boat handlers, but doesn't say much for passenger vessel safety.

Logically, this means that USCG standards are the best in the world. YMMV.

Thank you for your response! Looking forward to coming on board in September. I am trying to figure out what thickness wetsuit to bring... Generally I get cold, but would like to know the average temp in September where we are going in Southern Vistayas. I have a 5 mil and a 3-4 mil (both with other layers i can add on)... also if I bring my 3-4 and get cold, do you have womens wetsuits for loan on board?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Snoobles

The average water temperature in the Visayas is 26C / 78F. Most people find that a 3mm suit is enough, but as you mention you feel the cold easily you may wish to bring along your 5mm. We do have 3mm shorties available on board free of charge and with sizes for all guests that you can easily combine with your 3-4mm suit if that is more convenient for you.

If you have any other questions please feel free to pm us :D

---------- Post Merged at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:29 AM ----------

I'm happy to have a go with that one if you like....

First off, the US is signatory to the rules and regulations of the International Maritime Organization, or IMO, as are all of the other nations you mentioned. It is logical to assume that nations that are subject to IMO regulations are held to a higher standard than nations that are not signatory and let vessels carry passengers willy nilly.

All Siren Fleet liveaboard yachts are subject to and finished to Lloyds Standards, undergoing thorough inspections prior to launch. Lloyds is the leading maritime body of the UK, where Worldwide Dive and Sail International is registered. http://www.lr.org/sectors/marine/Yourship/Yacht.aspx

Our yachts, although built and maintained in Asia, are therefore subject to their stringent inspections and regulations. However to operate in various Asian countries the vessel must be flagged in that country. For example, a Thai flagged liveaboard vessel may not operate in Indonesia.

In many of the destination countries in which the Siren Fleet operates, it is the local regulation that the Captain originate from that country, as such it is not always the case that the Captain will speak English. To compensate for this all of our Cruise Directors and secondary instructors are fluent English speakers and in many cases speak several languages, as we also welcome aboard guests from European and Asian nations. It is they who communicate information to our guests both throughout the cruise or in an emergency situation.

Responding to my own post. Now having been on the Siren, I would not recommend anyone stay in Cabin 8 even with the 10% discount they offered since it was the last room left. Besides being very cramped, and the crew using the space under the bed for soda storage, the room smelled like diesel fuel every time the boat moved and you could hear noise from the kitchen early in the morning as they started breakfast prep. In addition, the stairs going to the room are very steep (and sort of spiraling) with no hand-rail and are treacherous in bad seas and likely will end up in a head bump for anyone over 5'5. Also, the layout of the bathroom means that you can't use the sink while someone is showering. Thankfully there was one other open cabin (#2 with two twins) which they let us trade for, which ended up being much better (despite the fact that we couldn't share the bed). There is a distinct difference in the main rooms and cabin #8 – even the furnishings in the other rooms seemed nicer.

The rest of the trip went well. The ship had just come out of dry dock and it seemed a few things hadn’t been completed in time so for example in cabin 8 the adhesive sealant on the bathroom was still tacky and there were items like lights and furnishings that were done after we were on board. As for the diving, two of the dive masters were great, one would just "zone out" - so all groups were vying to not be with him. They initially promised they would rotate groups each 3 days with the dive masters after we complained, but ended up with a funky rotation which worked out well for us, but not so well for other groups. Beer was plentiful and the crew really tried hard to make it a great trip. Only other complaint was that the food was all buffet style and tended to be a bit repetitive with a lot of fried and unhealthy options (lots of meat in different sauces). The cooks did make meals fun by presenting the food and providing entertainment, but by the end i was craving healthy food. Salads at dinner would have been a nice addition. Some of the desserts were strange and a lot were ice cream. Eva the tour director worked really hard and was working round the clock.

Final note, we did convince them to let us dive with the whale sharks (vs. snorkel) which I think was well worth it. They did say there could be currents that move you away from the sharks, but we must have lucked out. That was the best part of the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom