Anyone down for lake Martin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like most of you guys have been on lake martin quite a bit. I have been around the lake for about 20 years (boating and swimming). I have never dove the lake. Could you guys expand a little on the conditions....

What is considered good vis?
What is considered normal vis?
Where is the thermocline in the summer months July-August?
At what depth does it get dark (when a flashlight is absolutely necessary).
Has anyone dove around Acapulco rock?
Whats the biggest fish that you have seen?
Does anyone have any cool pics or video?

I will definitelyl be there on the 12. Still trying to figure out where the LDS dives at there. Maybe we could dive where they do. Anyone else wanna join us for a trip?

easyrider003,

Are you OK with starting the day a bit late?

Even if I don't go home and change (in which case, I'll be stuck wearing my uniform), I still won't be able to get there any earlier than about 10-10:30am.

Now, if we could just have a good day in Tuscaloosa, where no one wrecks their car at shift change...then I might be able to be there as early as 9-9:30am, but you know how it is :)

With a little luck, I'll have my steel tanks in then....I might be able to borrow my boyfriend's car and bring my two aluminum tanks, too...that way, you can borrow my yoke aluminum tank, and we can both get two or three dives in.

Can anyone tell me where the old kawalja bridge is at. I know where the new one is. There is a boat ramp next to the new bridge. If you are standing on the boat ramp the new bridge is too the left. Where would I go exactly to get too the old bridge. Not quiet familiar with the location of the old bridge. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me where the old kawalja bridge is at. I know where the new one is. There is a boat ramp next to the new bridge. If you are standing on the boat ramp the new bridge is too the left. Where would I go exactly to get too the old bridge. Not quiet familiar with the location of the old bridge. Thanks.
When you're standing on that boat ramp, the old roadbed is the berm on your immediate right. Sight across the lake (about 235° magnetic) and you'll see the old roadbed about the same distance to the right of the south end of the new bridge on that side... the old bridge rubble starts in only about 10-15' of water on both ends and stretches all the way across the lake, with a break in the middle.
--
Looks like we're going to dive there Sunday August 17th... exact times TBA. See this thread for details.
Rick

Last edited:
Kind of Spur of the moment but some of us are meeting July 20th at 1:00 a the Church in the Pines in to Dive teh Bridge Span and the Ghost Fleet. Come join us if you can..

I am new to the thread, and was wondering if anyone has heard about the supposed three or four houses that are said to be under the lake at Martin? I have heard that several houses were bought off and left when the water level was permanently raised years back.

My wife, a friend of ours and myself went diving on Kowaliga bridge a couple of weeks ago. Am putting together a nice dive boat. Was a good test. Water was pretty chilly, 70 degrees on the surface and 54 on the bottom at 45 feet. Thermocline at about 12 feet, immediately 55 degrees. Very murky, maybe four feet visibility. Bottom stured up very quickly and clouded and did not clear quickly as in summer. Bev and I will be at bridge today, Wednesday for a couple of hours checking out the dive boat changes and breaking in the new engine. Anyone wishing to meet us, show up around the marina or boat ramp on the north side. Not diving today, just surveying because of the rain. I believe it is going to be really muddy after the rains. Ted

Anyone have any info about Lake Tuscaloosa? Am interested in diving different lakes and just got my diving boat set up and raring to go. If you dive there and want to meet for a dive, just give me a holler. Just look for a little old man with white hair and a beard and a boat. ted

I really have not heard a lot of good things about Lake Tuscaloosa: My original diving instructor is a firefighter and has to occasionally train in the lake: He mentioned that it is cold as hell, ridiculously deep, visibility sucks, and the level of contaminants in the water from runoff can rise to some pretty unacceptable levels...plus, there is usually a lot of boat traffic, so a dive flag is imperative.

If you are interested in meeting for some dives in June, we could go dive ABWA :)

Back
Top Bottom