Anyone ever built their own roller gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Me and my step kid and his adoptive “uncle” are big into spear fishing. Kinda how me and him bonded. Me and uncle have the tools and we’re considering building him a roller gun for his graduation present.

Any pointers? Does anyone have any sites for plans

Did you check Youtube? More build videos than you can shake a stick ...ehem ...roller gun at.

Did you check Youtube? More build videos than you can shake a stick ...ehem ...roller gun at.
I have and they are definitely inspiring.
I have 2 actions ordered. Hoping to find specific drill points. Never fooled with a roller until handling them on a recent trip

I have always considered building my own speargun with wood I cut off my own land, but have only done armchair research so far...

I would start out calling the people at Neptonics for some pointers since they also sell the special parts and tools you may need (Speargun Parts Archives)
I made one order from Neptonics recently. they screwed up the order, sent the wrong product and are now failing to provide a full refund. So far, very dissatisfied with their customer service and handling of their error. Multiple phone calls, Emails etc. Edit/update: To be fair they have issued a full refund as requested.

I have always considered building my own speargun with wood I cut off my own land, but have only done armchair research so far...

I am looking at this now. I have several slabs that I cut with a chainsaw drying out now. Not the ideal wood to use, but will work.
I need to pick up a moisture meter next.

OP..I would base it off of a known design. As in, go to a dive shop if you can and take general measurements of the size you looking at. I helped a kid out who did just this a while back. He came back a few times with updates and problems.
As far as the 'drill points', are you referring to the trigger mech? Most have a jig to accomplish this. But one could be made once you have them in your hands using angled metal, or even something made of plastic or wood (single use likely).

I am looking at this now. I have several slabs that I cut with a chainsaw drying out now. Not the ideal wood to use, but will work.
I need to pick up a moisture meter next.
One option you might consider, especially if it's not the ideal wood, is to make thin (1/8"ish? 1/4"?) wooden stips running your slabs on a table saw and then laminate all the strips back together with epoxy using numerous clamps or weights to press the strips together.

Disclaimer: The above suggestion is based purely upon my experience doing work on boats involving epoxy/composites/woodworking as opposed to spearguns.. Also if trying out the above proposal you could go one notable degree better visiting a local composites company for advice and supplies to do vacuum bagging (benefit being perfectly even pressure and minimizing weight by better squeezing out any excess epoxy)

Tangential side note: I think the ultimate (but NOT worth the effort and expense unless one was getting into commercial production and/or needing to get into resin infusion for other uses...) would be a vacuum assisted resin transfer infusion set-up because the wood slices would be absolutely dry (because all moisture can be removed as vapor under sufficient vacuum at room temperature) and it could be keyed together by epoxy channels in the two directions which the wood grain is least strong. The other reason I recommend avoiding the infusion route is that despite the best strength to weight ratio possible outside of prepreg+kiln is it is one of the most humbling (ie depressingly steep) learning curves you could imagine. But there is nothing to be intimidated by going with normal vacuum bagging...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom