Anyone ever dove drunk... ?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There definitely needs to be a new category for threads here on Scuba Board. We used to have wine and cheese. Now we have "Thumbs Down." This discussion should go under the heading of "Duh," or some similarly disparaging name, like "Bad Ideas." Sb managers or moderators can move the appropriate threads to that location. Just a thought.
DivemasterDennis

There definitely needs to be a new category for threads here on Scuba Board. We used to have wine and cheese. Now we have "Thumbs Down." This discussion should go under the heading of "Duh," or some similarly disparaging name, like "Bad Ideas." Sb managers or moderators can move the appropriate threads to that location. Just a thought.
DivemasterDennis

How about A-hole diving or divers? That's what I felt like afterwards.

If we were all born with the wisdom we have after 50+ years of living the world would be a very crowded place.

A little natural culling is natures way.

I probably had a six pack or so before the bar closed in Bonaire and I decided to do a solo night dive on the house reef to see if I could see anything that didn't come out at dusk. I used to drink A LOT so it was likely a little different than for your average diver. Dumb? Yah probably. That big of a deal for someone who is a competent diver and a little more than buzzed. I didn't think it was too big of a deal. Would I recommend it for you or likely do it again? Noooo!!! My computer is easy to see at night underwater as it is LED and mounted so I can see it by simply looking at my shoulder so it's hard to miss not to mention the audible alarms I have set for safety. I would bet that 10% of divers have in the same situation and are just not saying it. Note that I wasn't hung over at all in the morning and made the 9AM boat dives feeling perfect.

I guess the beers in Bonaire at the resort were only 8oz. or so. So really the equivalent of fewer beers.

I agree this is not the section for this type of thread.

Last edited:
Never been drunk and had the idea "I want to put on gear and go diving" had Ideas like "lets go sailing" "lets go bike riding" "lets get naked" " I want to swim" "that A-hole took my beer Im going to kick his A... " but never thought, "gee I want to be 60ft under water and have impaired judgment. " generally my ideas when drunk have not been fatal so far and I kind of count on that.

I don't and don't know of anyone who does, but 30 or so years ago, I met a guy who told me he fired up a bowl of pot and put it near the compressor intake. He claimed that he could just sit around his place with his favorite tank... don't know if he ever tried diving with it on purpose or accidentally. He is still alive and diving.

I've been a to dive camp that had a strict no drinking before diving policy. But, for some reason, partying until 4:30am, then getting one hour of sleep and making the 6:00am launch was considered acceptable. Plenty of sea sick, but I never heard about anyone getting injured.

Not something I would try, maybe I'm getting old but 1:00am feels late now days.

yeah. still (very) drunk from the night before once. wasn't my smartest move and doubt I'll do it again.

after a few beers I tend to get reflux so definitely no urge to dive.

diving with a hangover on the other hand is great, especially if you're sucking back 36+%

There is one thing that can be said for drunk diving - its a danger to a lot less people than if you where to go drunk driving..

So 10% do it, 2% admit it and many more dive with some amount still left from the night before. Next question, how many have a drink shortly after diving? When vacation diving, it often starts with a beer at lunch after the last dive. I have thought about bringing a cooler of negra modellos on the dive boat, but haven't yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom