Anyone flown Ryan International out of DFW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaryRiley

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys...hubby and I are headed for Coz March 5th for a week.
We booked thru Funjet and thought we were getting a good deal.
UNTIL I found out that Ryan only allows you 2 checked bags per person with a total weight (for both) being 44 pounds!! Has anyone flown with this carrier?
Any suggestions on taking our dive equipment? We are diving for 6 days and would like to use our own equipment.

Thanks for the help.

Yes...we have flown with them before never a problem I always freak out when I see that weight limitation but they have never said anything....I always carryon more weight than I should trying to keep my checked luggage weight down...but never a problem....being it is a charter and most everyone on the plane is carrying dive gear ....we went with them this past Christmas and same thing our dive bag was around 50lbs and our clothes bag was about the same and we even had a third bag full of Christmas gifts for a friend of ours (Christi) from her mom, that lives there... and two carryons...no problem....

Worst flight of my life! We flew Ryan Air from Cleveland to Cancun before 911 and I recall the baggage restrictions were not as bad but not like a commercial flight either. It's been my experience that chartered flights have more restrictions regarding baggage and weight. At the same time, I've observed charter flights not weighing bags or disregarding the weight limit at check in whereas I have been charged by commercial flights for being over by 5 pounds. I always pull out the scale when packing if for nothing else, to make sure we don't bring too much crap. You shouldn't have a problem taking what you "need" and having it weigh 44 pounds. Before we dived, we managed to bring enough stuff to fill all 3 pieces of our luggage. Then we became divers and were hauling our gear down... in the same 3 pieces of luggage. Then we had our daughter and still manage to bring her stuff, our stuff and all our gear in the same pieces of luggage!

In the end, it doesn't seem like a fair rule... people staying for 3 nights get the same limitations at people staying 10, 14, or 21 nights???

Always remember, you can get almost anything you would need on the island if you have to leave something at home such as dive light batteries, sun block, shampoo and other hefty items.

That's a total of 4 bags 88 lbs. That is allot of weight.

OK here you go. I can fit my wet suit, fins, mask, BC, sausage, mesh gear bag all in a carry on size bag. 22x14x9

Second bag same size has clothes. Remember your on vacation you need only t shirts, shorts, swimsuits, and 1 nice outfit for going out. T shirts can be rinsed and re-worn later in the week. or do laundry mid week.

Total is about 40 lbs.

A good size back pack to carry on is not weighed-- Reg and gauges and other things I might need in it and it weighs about 15-20.

I flew Ryan out of Chicago 2 weeks ago and they did charge people for over weight bags. Charter planes have more seats than Commercial airlines so more passenger weight thus the lower bag weight.

The larger your bag the more they are apt to weight it. The guy in front of me at check in had a full size bag and a medium 1. They put them right on the scale and he payed for extra pounds. When the clerk saw mine were carry on size she never put them on, just tagged them and away they went. So watch the size.

yes, we just used ryan air and funjet feb 23-26, just got back yesterday from cozumel. i have to say it was quite a change from my last trip in oct 06. in oct they carefully weighed our bags and said 5 lbs over was no big deal, in cozumel they wanted to charge a friend $50 for 5 lbs over, they didnt after all.
this trip, they didnt even weigh our bags at DFW or cozumel, it wasnt an issue at all. you know my gear must weigh more than others. BC, mask, fins, snorkel, regulator, dry bag, dive log, 2 dive lights and a marker, save a dive kit, shaving kit, swim suit, 3 t-shirts, and sandals weighed 46lbs. i carry clothes, dive computer, underwater camera, land camera, and a book in my carry on. i pack very effeciently, take nothing i dont have to have, and i am over the limit, i'm glad they were laid back this time about the weight. good luck, diver88

Probably flown four to five times to Coz per year from DFW.

Never had a bag weighed, never charged (and my bags are always overweight) any extra, never had an issue. Backpack carryon, DVD bag carryon, giant Pelican box checked.

Have flown Ryan once or twice from DFW, never a problem. We drive down from OK since the charters are usually the most economical way to get to Coz for us. Have flight booked on Ryan for mid-April, short trip, so will travel with carry-ons only. BTW, you can store your dive gear in Coz for a relatively small fee. This is about the only dive destination I go to so it works well for me, allows the travel to be a little easier.

I guess I have just been lucky...have flown on Funjet out of DFW,San Antonio, and Austin....all I have heard is have a nice trip....but I try to be there early close to first in line so maybe the ticket agents aren't as grumpy then:D

Thanks to all who commented.
We are so excited about going to Coz.
Hopefully the weight wont be an issue.

I've flown Ryan several times and never a problem. I've had more problems with commercial airlines. Last year I think the baggage weight limit was 44 lbs. for "each" checked bag (or maybe it was 44 lbs. total checked?). It may have changed now. I'm always able to get everything into one suitcase and a carry on for an 8 day trip. My checked suitcase always weighs around 40 to 42 lbs. including all dive gear except regs. and I still tend to overpack on clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom