Anyone have advice on search and recovery in dams / lakes using side scan sonar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miksta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im diving in South Africa and have requests to recover lost items in local dams. what is the best equipment (economical please!) i should use. I am a DM with search & recovery, but know little about use of electronic equipment (side scan sonar) and whether it is effective. Please help!

Welcome to Scubaboard. Good to have you with us. Cant help you with your questions. Try the diving epuipment sub-forum.

Thanks Clay, im slowly getting around scubaboard and finding my way... have checked out diving equipment sub forum and getting a better idea.

I recently got a good look at a Hummingbird 997 SI side scan sonar: very impressive and compact unit that has just come out and costs only 2300$ or so. Mount the tranmitter/reciever under your boat and off you go.

We were using it for a week or two to locate car and boat wreaks in a large lake. Works well down to 20 metres depth or so depending on settings (deeper if use a narrower beam). Works well for objects down to half-metre sized and less (depends on depth, settings and the bottom).

Just allow a lot of time and be systematic with your search lines. This unit had a built in gps and chart plotter which made keeping the search on track easier.

How big are the objects and what sort of bottom are the sitting on (quiet: flat sand and mud) or noisy (lots of rocks, topography and such). Are they metal or non-magnetic? There are other methods and tricks depending on what you are after.

Cheers,
Rohan.

By the way - if this is moved into the equipment or underwater treasures forum you may get more answers...

I have a lot of experience searching with side scan sonar. There's a lot of variables, including the depth of the water and the size and composition of the object. As far as help with finding a cheap unit, I can't help much with that. I was using a commercial unit. But, how about some more details?

smilies-35311.png
bananawave.gif

Wrong forum, but oh well...

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

don
bananawaves.gif

Tks Don,
how do i move this thread to a different forum?

DSE!
working dams / lakes, looking for stuff like outboard motors. bottom topography most likely mud with small amount on rock, max deph estimated at 40m.
Going to move across to the equipment forum now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom