Anyone have an updated Catalina dive condition report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasaint

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I'm booked on the Great Escape for the trip next weekend. Just wondering if anyone can report on the temps and vis as of late.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

I did Catalina today on the Sea Bass. Conditions were very good. We dove Wrigley Reserve, Arrow Point and Indian Rocks. Wrigley was completely flat and calm. Arrow Point had a little surge, and Indian Rocks had some current. Viz varied on each dive, no worse than 30 and as good as 50+. Scott claimed he had 80 - 100 ft at the point at Arrow Point. My computer hit 60 on all three dives but never below on any dive.

I'll be on the Great Escape trip next Saturday.

Last edited:
Next weekend is FAR too FAR away to make any predictions. Vis at the dive park has bounced back and forth from 15 ft to 70 ft in the past two weeks. Strong currents this weekend, but those shouldn't be a problem next weekend due to lunar phase. Surge a problem the past few days, but that could be long gone by your visit. Temps today were 67 F down to 85 ft. Surface temp had dropped to 67-68 F from 72-74 a week ago.

We were there last Saturday (9 days ago). Water temps were 64F~66F. Vis was generally good (40F~75F est). There was little current or surge. I think Dr. Bill nailed it, and conditions are variable so your experience may vary.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the Great Escape this Saturday!

Checked with the Great Escape today, the boat is full. Hoping conditions are good on Saturday.
I may be the only diver on board with less than 22 dives under my weight belt.

Last edited:
I was out with diverrex yesterday, vis was nice where we were. Like Dr Bill and Ron said, it changes every day. I wouldn't worry about it, it's usually pretty good from now until the end of the year.

surface temps are 68 on the east side, and a little cooler (64-65) west of two harbors. if you go deep enough, like I did yesterday, the water will be in the 50's and the vis will be incredible.

btw, here's a couple shots from yesterday to get you thinking about your trip

629094041_reDdo-L.jpg

629309287_jD5RM-M.jpg

Scott

My reports for the dive park may be meaningless to you since the Great Escape won't be diving there! Conditions can be highly variable along our 54-mile coastline.

Scott - those are some amazing photographs.
One looks like the USC preserve. Was there much post-production work on them? Can I use them in future promotions of dive trips here on ScubaBoard?

Again, amazing shots!

I was out with diverrex yesterday, vis was nice where we were. Like Dr Bill and Ron said, it changes every day. I wouldn't worry about it, it's usually pretty good from now until the end of the year.

surface temps are 68 on the east side, and a little cooler (64-65) west of two harbors. if you go deep enough, like I did yesterday, the water will be in the 50's and the vis will be incredible.

btw, here's a couple shots from yesterday to get you thinking about your trip

629094041_reDdo-L.jpg

629309287_jD5RM-M.jpg

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom