Anyone heard anything about a Chinese diver dying in the Philippines yesterday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to point out that I was a fare paying customer on this trip. I just happened to be there when the unconscious diver suddenly appeared.

Also, the article combining the incident of the luxury diving yacht reported having engine trouble with this accident is a journalistic fabrication. They have no relation to each other whatsoever. And the mentioning of the body of the diver floating around has no relation at all to what happened.

After the first dive we took a break of approx. one hour and twenty minutes and we went into the water at 12:17. There was a very strong current, so we were immediately separated into two groups.

The current was so strong that we had to hold on to the bottom and slowly "crawl" down. About 5 minutes into the dive, when I was at 14 meters depth, I felt someone pulling at my fins and an expensive camera landed right in front of me.

My first thought was that a diver had lost his camera but it was my octopus he was interested in. I grabbed hold of him so we could ascend together and I tried to calm him down. When we surfaced, he was strongly affected and very relieved.

We got onboard the dive boat and I had him to lie down first on one side and then on the other side and asked him to try to squeeze the breath when breathing out, to get the water out of the lungs, if there was any.

Once he recovered from the shock he had no problems. We started talking about how it could happen and had confirmed that his tank was completely empty. We wanted to examine whether it had been changed after the first dive and started looking for his other tanks. Suddenly two more divers appeared!

One was unconscious. We managed to get him out of the water and got his equipment off. On board at the time were two Filipinos: The captain and his helper, the guy I came up with and myself.

His airways were filled with water and he had no pulse. I tried to rescue breathe but for each breath, there was only a little water and foam coming out. His eyes had turned white. We tried to turn him on one side and we pressed on his chest, and the only thing that came out of him was a little water and foam.

Without pulse and with the prospect of at least two hours of CPR without an artificial airway to ventilate him, I decided to stop. If the oxygen equipment had included an artificial airway and if we had had a defibrillator and/or the prospect of transferring him by rescue helicopter to a hospital, I had thought differently.

He had over 100 BARs (more than half) in his tank but the mouthpiece was missing from his regulator. He was already breathing from his own octopus when he signaled out of air to the guy taking him up but took the offered octopus anyway.

My theory is, that when the regulator and mouthpiece separated, he may have inhaled salt water, and either he panicked or swallowed saltwater causing his laryngeal lid to close and possibly on the way up he then he had pneumothorax or if he was in a panic and hyper ventilated, he became unconscious when ascending.

The reason I haven’t been writing until now is that I wasn’t aware of the discussion of the accident at this site. As you can imagine, it is a thing that stays with you for a long time. I didn’t dive for a while after it happened but I am now back among the diving.

Dear FlemmingParis: thank you for your report, and for what you did to help the diver you surfaced with and also the other diver who perished. I am sure it was VERY hard for you, but it sounds like you did all that you possibly could for the diver that perished. I hope you really hold on to the fact that the diver whom you surfaced with, who was having a problem underwater, is really someone you helped save. The other diver sounds beyond help by the time you were able to get involved.

I would like to point out that I was a fare paying customer on this trip. I just happened to be there when the unconscious diver suddenly appeared.

Also, the article combining the incident of the luxury diving yacht reported having engine trouble with this accident is a journalistic fabrication. They have no relation to each other whatsoever. And the mentioning of the body of the diver floating around has no relation at all to what happened.

After the first dive we took a break of approx. one hour and twenty minutes and we went into the water at 12:17. There was a very strong current, so we were immediately separated into two groups.

The current was so strong that we had to hold on to the bottom and slowly "crawl" down. About 5 minutes into the dive, when I was at 14 meters depth, I felt someone pulling at my fins and an expensive camera landed right in front of me.

My first thought was that a diver had lost his camera but it was my octopus he was interested in. I grabbed hold of him so we could ascend together and I tried to calm him down. When we surfaced, he was strongly affected and very relieved.

We got onboard the dive boat and I had him to lie down first on one side and then on the other side and asked him to try to squeeze the breath when breathing out, to get the water out of the lungs, if there was any.

Once he recovered from the shock he had no problems. We started talking about how it could happen and had confirmed that his tank was completely empty. We wanted to examine whether it had been changed after the first dive and started looking for his other tanks. Suddenly two more divers appeared!

One was unconscious. We managed to get him out of the water and got his equipment off. On board at the time were two Filipinos: The captain and his helper, the guy I came up with and myself.

His airways were filled with water and he had no pulse. I tried to rescue breathe but for each breath, there was only a little water and foam coming out. His eyes had turned white. We tried to turn him on one side and we pressed on his chest, and the only thing that came out of him was a little water and foam.

Without pulse and with the prospect of at least two hours of CPR without an artificial airway to ventilate him, I decided to stop. If the oxygen equipment had included an artificial airway and if we had had a defibrillator and/or the prospect of transferring him by rescue helicopter to a hospital, I had thought differently.

He had over 100 BARs (more than half) in his tank but the mouthpiece was missing from his regulator. He was already breathing from his own octopus when he signaled out of air to the guy taking him up but took the offered octopus anyway.

My theory is, that when the regulator and mouthpiece separated, he may have inhaled salt water, and either he panicked or swallowed saltwater causing his laryngeal lid to close and possibly on the way up he then he had pneumothorax or if he was in a panic and hyper ventilated, he became unconscious when ascending.

The reason I haven’t been writing until now is that I wasn’t aware of the discussion of the accident at this site. As you can imagine, it is a thing that stays with you for a long time. I didn’t dive for a while after it happened but I am now back among the diving.

Didnt your dive guide saw that the current was ripping that time? He should have decided to pull back the dive... and decide to dive somewhere near sabang area.. it was much more safer if he did that..

Dive Guides should be familiar with Verde Dive site. Verde Island Dive site could be very notorious at times. He should have known that before taking divers to verde it is not enough that you are a certified diver even advanced diver. Divers should be WELL EXPERIENCED DIVER if you want to dive VERDE Island.

I was there in that faithful day when they brought the body back to the resort and waited for sometime to bring the body to the MORGUE. They should have went straight to hospital not back to the resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom