Anyone use the new Inon UCL-100LD/UCL-100M67 close-up lens yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A +10 diopter should focus at 10cm or 4" inches from the back of the glass and allow you to use full zoom, meaning 3" from the front

So the comparison is camera at full wide at 1cm or at full zoom at 10cm. Usually at 1cm you have no space to lit the subject so the second option is best
However if your camera has little zoom less than 85mm equivalent the magnification is none to little. You need then a stronger diopter to get even closer

Ultimately on a compact it depends on the amount of zoom available and the size of the captured frame

not a useful post but i was all set to pick one up and then the wife asked "didn't you want another strobe?"...next time.

Here are my measurements of the Sony RX-100 in water.
"Width of field of view" means that is the size of an object that will completely fill the sensor (horizontally).
Example, with the +10 an object 37mm wide will completely fill the frame.

Using +10 reduces focus distance from 640mm to 75mm
Using +10 reduces size of object that fills the sensor from 220mm to 37mm ( 6 time improvement )

Sony RX-100

Full wide
Min. focus distance 50mm
width of field of view 73mm

Full zoom (tele)
Min. focus distance 40mm
width of field of view 220mm

Sony RX-100 with +10 diopter

Full zoom (tele)
Min. focus distance 75mm
width of field of view 37mm

Last edited:
Lens on order should be with me next week. I think with the Panasonic LX7 will be looking at similar performance even if the zoom is only 90mm equivalent

---------- Post added April 17th, 2013 at 01:27 PM ----------

Here are my measurements of the Sony RX-100 in water.
"Width of field of view" means that is the size of an object that will completely fill the sensor (horizontally).
Example, with the +10 an object 37mm wide will completely fill the frame.

Using +10 reduces focus distance from 640mm to 75mm
Using +10 reduces size of object that fills the sensor from 220mm to 37mm ( 6 time improvement )

Sony RX-100
Min. focus distance width of field of view
Full wide 50mm 73mm
Full zoom (tele) 640mm 220mm

Sony RX-100 with +10 diopter
Min. focus distance width of field of view

Full zoom (tele) 75mm 37mm

If it gets 37mm size with 10 diopters that is near to 1:1 macro. So the Rx100 needs slightly more than 10 diopters to get to real macro

I just received the Inon UCL100 LD version and I have to say this is the most interesting close up lens ever
I am going to post something on my blog but I just want to say this fits all bills in one shot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom