anyone using a regulator necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use home made, 1/8" bungee from west marine. I zipped tight it at mouth piece. I have seen those IST type of necklace. I haven't use it myself. From the look of it, I don't know how secure they will be holding on the 2nd stage. The last thing you want is to have the 22" octo come off from your necklace.

I tie my own my bungee.

I tried the Manta silicone necklace and hated it. Every time I used the octo in a drill, it came out of the necklace.

Never had an issue tying my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I made my own adjustable necklace from bungee and then got the DR regulator necklace, which is also adjustable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I use a bungee. When underwater the bungee is around my head to hold the mouthpiece in. My thought is the reg stays in the mouth should I ever go unconscious for some reason. I guess it would be good for oxtox on nitrox as well. It also is convenient for grabbing the mouthpiece while the bungee is around my neck--an extra plus I didn't think of at the time. I don't use it to hold the mouthpiece in when DMing classes.

So you have your primary second bungeed around your head so it stays in your mouth?

So you have your primary second bungeed around your head so it stays in your mouth?

Yes. Poor man's full-face mask. If the bungee is around my neck and not my head the mouthpiece hangs in front of my neck ready to go. A little bit of insurance--in case I faint or something while solo diving. Obviously not a necessity if diving with a good buddy--but it can't hurt. Buddy could not be looking when you faint, the mouthpiece falls out and you take in water until he notices.

I don't like the rubber necklace. Didn't work well with my lip guard, and hung a bit loose for my liking. Same problem with zip tying the bungee, it didnt let the guard sit properly. Yep. I have lip guards on both my secondaries. Whatchya gonna say about it!?!?

With bungee tied with fisherman's knot it didnt interfere.

Home made bungee necklace here. Easy and very cheap to make; more importantly it's custom length. My backup is positioned in such a fashion that I can get it into my mouth without using my hands if needed.

I too use a bungee (necklace) back up. The ones I use and sell are made from shock cord. It is an important note here that in a typical DIR configuration, the bungee is used to secure the back up regulator under the chin. That means the diver will be donating his/her primary regulator (the one in his/her mouth) to an out of gas diver. This requires that the hose lengths be other then standard. Usually the back up hose is 22' and the primary is 84". Yep, 7 feet! This gives you enough length to donate your primary. The method of storage and deployment of this "long hose" is really something that should be taught and practiced.

I've used both homemade and purchased. What I won't use are the versions that keep the 2nd stage trapped and unable to be pulled free.

Back
Top Bottom