Anyone Using the EOS 70D?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After using my G-11 for the last five years, I've just upgraded to a 70D. I'm not new to DSLRs, having used them on land for the last 40 years, but this will be the first time underwater. I'm just curious, if anyone else here has the 70D and their experiences with them. I'll also be hooking up my Inon strobe to it, and I purchased the 100 mm Canon lens. I love shooting macro, but also want to do a bit of everything.

I won't be going underwater with it for a couple months because I need to get a case. I was very impressed with the Nauticam case I handled at the DEMA show, so that's what I'm going with. I currently have an Ikelite with my G-11. While saving for the case, I'll get plenty of practice with the 70D out of the water.

Im using a 70D surface and underwater. Upgraded from a 550D. Great camera. I use the Ikelite housing as thats what i had before meaning strobes and ports could go straight on. If i had more money and buyin from scratch id have got Nauticam with Inon Z240s instead though.

Ive got a pathological hatred of macro though so all of my stuff is with a 10-17 tokina fisheye lens underwater.

I have a 650D in a Nauticam housing and couldn't have been more pleased with my choice; until the 70D and corresponding Nauticam housing came out!
I shoot with the Tokina 10-17mm and the Canon 100mm.
Shooting macro takes a lot of patience which I don't have so most of my better shots are with the WA lens.

I think you will be very happy with the 70D and the Nauticam housing for a long time.

I don't have the 70d, but I do own the 7d. I shoot this with the Ikelite housing, 60mm macro & 100mm macro. The 100 can be quite frustrating and will test your patience if there is surge to deal with. The 60 is my goto lens right now because I have yet to house my WA lens.

Have fun!

I own a 70D in a Nauticam NA-70D housing since a month. I used to have 7Ds but I flooded them this summer in Bali.
The big difference between the NA70D and the NA7D (7D housing) is that there are electronics ready to fit a vacuum system. The vacuum valve should be installed optionally with a cost but if I had one word of advise : GO FOR IT !

I am mosttly using a 100/2.8 USM macro for macro and supermacro (+Subsee macro lens) shots, sometimes a 60EFS lens for fish portraits and a 10-17 Tokina in a Zen 4" minidome for wide angle. I have two Inon Z240 strobes.

You can have a look at my latest images in my Flickr gallery, only the Balicasag/Alona images are shot with the 70D, all others with either a 7D or a 5D (earlier choice).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom