Anyone went on a Nile Cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the years I have been both on cruise boats and on small felluccas. In my opinion, you'll get a much more oriental experience by sailing the small fellucca and it is much more fun- and less crowded- then big cruise ships. You can stop virtually at any point you may find of interest, in small villages etc.

Been a few years since I was onboard a felucca! Nice way to travel, but not for more than a day. Diving would not be comfortable on it - too small entirely - and it would be problematic to get back on board.

There is a parasite in the Nile waters called Bilharzia. A small organism that likes to invade the body's orifices ...
Check out Schistosomiasis for details.

I leave you to figure out what not to do.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

A few years back, while in Egypt for two weeks, my family of four (kids 8 and 11) sailed on a felucca from Aswan to Edfu (near Luxor) with another family of four on a second felucca. It took 3 days/3 nights and was an awesome experience. We hired local sailors (two per boat) and one doubled as the cook. We stopped in many little villages along the way and moored along shore during the nights. Each night we had a campfire on the beach somewhere and we met other felucca travellers from all over the world. One night we drifted on the Nile for hours watching the stars. The photo opps were terrific and sunsets spectacular.

As several people have already mentioned, you shouldn't go in the Nile river due to the parasites.

If you have time, the temples at Abu Simbel are fantastic and worth the trip. So are the Valley of the Kings, Karnak Temple and Luxor Temple (all in or near Luxor). If you visit the Valley of the Kings try to hire a guide with donkeys to take you in the back way over the mountain trail. Fantastic!

Hope you have a great time in Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom