AOW as an experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had over 100 dives when I took the AOW course. Already had Nitrox cert.

While all education is of some value, I had to shake my head and wonder why I paid so much money for so little instruction. Seems to me the dive industry is trying to sell us a box of cookies one at a time.

Experience trumps the classroom. But if charters are setting the bar at AOW or better to get on the boat ... well :shakehead:

Same thing here. I got certified 11 years ago, and have over 40+ dives, and AOW was a joke back then. I've been out of diving for 5 years, and just getting back at it. People shun me, and look at me retarded when I tell them I've gone deeper than 100' feet, and have done cavarns (not caves) with just regular open water. Now I'm having to get my AOW 11 years after my OW :rofl3: At least for me it will be more of a refresher course than anything.

What I hate about the AOW course is that so many instructors don't engage any initiative when running the course - thus turning it into the most boring, stagnant and uninspiring training around.

I know what you mean. Read my above comment. I'm getting my AOW done at my University since the VA pays for it 100% because of my Post 9/11 GI Bill. I know the instructor, and he is exactly like this. Plus he thinks whatever he knew from PADI 20 years ago is set in stone, and the only thing that should be done today. He has no adaption to the modern time. He said it was completely stupid that someone would use a 5 or 7 foot primary hose for open water, and that only 5% of cave divers used that. If I were paying for it I would never go to him. Luckily I do all of my diving with the guys from another local dive shop.

Same thing here. I got certified 11 years ago, and have over 40+ dives, and AOW was a joke back then. I've been out of diving for 5 years, and just getting back at it. People shun me, and look at me retarded when I tell them I've gone deeper than 100' feet, and have done cavarns (not caves) with just regular open water. Now I'm having to get my AOW 11 years after my OW :rofl3: At least for me it will be more of a refresher course than anything.

I know what you mean. Read my above comment. I'm getting my AOW done at my University since the VA pays for it 100% because of my Post 9/11 GI Bill. I know the instructor, and he is exactly like this. Plus he thinks whatever he knew from PADI 20 years ago is set in stone, and the only thing that should be done today. He has no adaption to the modern time. He said it was completely stupid that someone would use a 5 or 7 foot primary hose for open water, and that only 5% of cave divers used that. If I were paying for it I would never go to him. Luckily I do all of my diving with the guys from another local dive shop.

So as long as you do it through a University the VA will cover it with the Post 9/11 GI Bill? ****, I'm doing it then. I didn't want to really fork over the cash for something I don't even feel like doing.

So as long as you do it through a University the VA will cover it with the Post 9/11 GI Bill? ****, I'm doing it then. I didn't want to really fork over the cash for something I don't even feel like doing.

Yep, but each class is only half a semester and 1 credit (for me anyway). The only downside is that there is a $250 lab fee for gear rental and transportation. You have to pay it even if you are using, and bringing your own gear. This is how my University is, but I don't know about others. I don't know if the VA covers the lab fee with the Post 9/11 Gi Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom