AOW Class Max Depth 65 ft. ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but if 65 ft meets the training agency standards, then I guess that is all that is needed.

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem IMHO.

My daughter did deep dive in the Atlantic. They went to 130', did coordination exercises, and did a 10 minute "deco stop" (simulated) at 80' in the water column, several times......What did she learn?? 1) gas management (she realized how much faster her air goes at depth and the need to REALLY monitor SPG), 2) to recognize when coordination begins slowing due to depth (N narcosis) and how to treat, 3) monitoring her computer for NDL's (though simulated deco), 4) planned and executed deco stop, 5) bouyancy control in the water column, 6) became more comfortable just talking about "deep" dives (still <130' recreational limit).........Don't you know I tipped the instructor WELL :wink:

Last edited:
I really think that AOW should include dives below 100'. The whole point I think is to get that experience in a more controlled environment under the supervision of an instructor. My AOW included a 75' 95' and culminated with a dive to 125' wherein we were assessed for narcosis (write name on slate, puzzles, etc.). This progression allowed me deal with my apprehension and ultimately build the confidence to expand my diving range.

For my AOW we went to 36m on a wreck in lake Erie (twice, the Boland). That is deeper than most are taken, but I feel better having done a deeper dive in terms of learning than I would have doing a shallower dive. I was diving with 28%, so there was a little more time for my instructor and I to go through the exercises.

I think a solid education on deep diving, with a 65' max depth would be far superior to the typical anemic deep specialty having a 100' max.

Ideally, a deep specialty would have an emphasis on planning the dive, especially gas planning. Buoyancy control, ascents, themoclines, situational awareness.... all these things can be taught and evaluated without exceeding 3ATA. Prior to OW, I'd want to do a pool session to evaluate skills if I wasn't familiar with the student.

If the instruction consists of personal accounts of narcosis and repeated warnings to "just follow your computer", followed by a narcosis evaluation at 65', I'm sure you know my opinion of that. :)

Greetings ScubaSam to be honest I am not shocked and know of a local shop who follows similar guidelines although they at least lest the student choose 2 or 3 of the electives.
Their thought on the deep dive is that 60' meets the deep requirement and it is safer than 100' and in cold water you actually chart it as 10' deeper.
Do I agree? Well it meets the requirement but I received so much more in my AOW that it really was a great class that not only met the requirements but also the collateral information that is not necessarily freely given.

Narcosis / management, gas planning / management, dive planning / deep dive planning, cold water hazards / management, navigation in poor vis / mid water navigation, buoyancy control, BUDDY AWARENESS!!!!!!
My class was exceptional not because of the agency but because of the INSTRUCTOR was exceptional!
You could see the difference in His divers in and out of the water!

Encourage your friend to find a Instructor like mine and have them mentor her and train her further where she needs it!
If you search and it takes a while do not worry it is worth it in the end!
I might be able to help if you are in the north central US, I know a few instructors who are exceptional, keep in mind that great instructors are worth more in fees as well.
Just PM me and I will see what I can do for you.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I picked the instructor for my son's AOW...not only he went down to 100 ft but he also did it on EAN as I had it included as part of the AOW. The instructor also handed his stage bottle to my son who just hooked it up to his BC, trimmed and continued the dive. As other have mentioned I think the depth is important for a couple of reasons, the main one...proper dive and gas planning, proper gas monitoring as you go through your gas four times faster than at the surface and twice as much as 33 ft, NDL monitoring...20 mins on air and 30 on EAN 32...that's pretty quick, narcosis...maybe it will happen maybe not, confidence...increased pressure, darker conditions (depending where your dive), lower vis and colder water temperature (thermocline) could be nerve racking when all combined. It think it is a good thing to experience all these things in a controlled environment first. Not too sure you get all these things at 65 ft, especially down south.

Lessons learned as far as offered specialties..It s..... to have to pay money to learn it the hard way. Once burned twice shy. So I guess the next time the individual plans to register for a course she will ask a load of questions and insist to get certain assurance in writing.

At the local quarry I take students to 68 to 70'. In the ocean, I'll take them to 90' - 100'.

I just completed my AOW in Key Largo two weeks ago (and Nitrox as well). Not only did we get to choose our specialties, but we went to 130'. We had to answer problem solving questions at depth, etc to see if we felt any of the side effects of Narcosis. This is something I feel is important. If you're about to embark on your AOW (which allows you to dive to 130')... wouldn't it make sense to experience that depth during your training, and feel the effects of that depth with an instructor? Once a diver completes their AOW, they are free to dive to those deep depths without an instructor... I think having experience at those deeper depths during your training is very important.

Just my 2 cents.

I just completed my AOW in Key Largo two weeks ago (and Nitrox as well). Not only did we get to choose our specialties, but we went to 130'.
Just picking nits since your profile states your AOW was with PADI.
Your Instructor violated a training standard if he did take you to 130' for the deep dive of the AOW. The standard is between 60-100'
We had to answer problem solving questions at depth, etc to see if we felt any of the side effects of Narcosis. This is something I feel is important. If you're about to embark on your AOW (which allows you to dive to 130')... wouldn't it make sense to experience that depth during your training, and feel the effects of that depth with an instructor?
I like problem solving tasks at depth as well as task loading, so besides the problem solving tasks, did you perform any others?
Point of clairification. AOW doesn't allow you to dive to 130'. AOW has a depth recommendation of 100'. You make the choice to dive to 130' after certification.

Once a diver completes their AOW, they are free to dive to those deep depths without an instructor... I think having experience at those deeper depths during your training is very important.
Agree as stated above. Experience at those depths is important. I also believe it is just as important, if not more, to work toward those depths (130') in increments and not just go there on dive five or eight of AOW.
There are greater hazards than just narcosis.

AOW standards a "deep" dive can be 19m - 30m (65ft to 100ft). No shallower, no deeper.
I really fail to see any justification for doing it in the shallow range of that as you'll learn absolutely nothing. Going 1m deeper than open water is going to teach you absolutely nothing. Im a firm believer in taking a student to the maximum depth they're qualified to dive to, especially at the entry level courses like this.

The whole initial post here just sounds like a standard poor dive shop and poor instructor prepared to do the absolute minimum requires and not the slightest bit more. Interested in speed, ease and money more than actually producing a good diver. Go elsewhere!

The narcosis test mentioned here was axed on the deep adventure dive a few years ago for the simple reason is the test was utterly useless - usually people were faster underwater than on the surface due to adaptation and obviously if you're going to 19m then you really arent going to experience measurable narcosis!. Its still in the deep diver speciality course though - at 40m its far more obvious and usually turns up the correct results.

And to the poster that went to 130ft on his AOW course recently - thats a massive standards, safety, insurance and common sense breach. If true the instructor should be reported.

Back
Top Bottom