AOW - mish mash of adventure dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run AOW progressively, once a component has been introduced, the student applies it in every subsequent dive. This adds to task loading and ensures maximum exposure to dive skills.

My typical AOW runs like this:

Theory: Self-Study and Review, supplemented with several instructor-driven lectures.

Dive #1: PPB - run as an intensive buoyancy/trim/weighting/propulsion/control clinic. Students are taught to descend, propel, hover and ascend in a properly trimmed horizontal position. Frog kick and helicopter turn are introduced. I use numerous drills to amplify control; including horizontal hover mask remove/replace, passing weights from diver-to-diver, propulsion without fins (and moon-walking) and follow-the-leader in horizontal hover ascent/descent.

*Once introduced, all students are expected to apply the taught PPB skills in every subsequent dive. Horizontal trim, effective propulsion and control are insisted upon, and reviewed after each dive (often on video).

Dive #2: Navigation - again, run as an intensive clinic. In addition to the usual reciprocal and square patterns, students are expected to maintain situational awareness of location throughout the dive and navigate back to the start point. Natural navigation is stressed throughout. Turn-points and basic gas management are highlighted as part of the navigation phase.

*Once introduced, all students are expected to apply the taught navigation skills in every subsequent dive. They are briefed on the dive map, planning and managing navigation for the dive. It then becomes their responsibility, based upon pre-dive direction from the instructor (me).

Dive #3: Multi-Level & Computer - again, this is an intensive clinic that uses ML&C as a foundation. I include some basic deco theory and more advanced dive planning. This brings the issue of 'dive profile' into context of navigational planning. Another subsidiary focus on this dive is 'team diving and communication'.

*Once introduced, all students are expected to apply the taught ML&C skills in every subsequent dive. Dives are fully planned to shape an optimum profile. Full awareness of NDL, team skills and effective communication are to be demonstrated.

Dive #4 - Deep - The deep dive introduces students to proper ascent procedures as a team, including horizontal stops. A key focus is on developing situational awareness (gas, depth, time, NDL and buddy/team). Students are trained on, and utilize in-dive, redundant gas (pony) systems. The deep dive includes SAC calculation (SAC is recorded on dive #3) and basic gas management/planning protocols.

*Once introduced, all students are expected to apply the taught deep dive skills in every subsequent dive. The use of a pony cylinder, proper ascent procedures and accurate stop depths.

Dive #5: Wreck -the wreck dive bring together everything developed on dives 1-4, combined with natural navigation based on the wreck structure and layout. Students are taught... and then expected to, conduct independent research on the wreck site to be dived, to aid their subsequent dive planning and awareness. They create slate/maps of the wreck in advance, to take on the dive. These maps are then annotated during the dive to highlight hazards, penetration points, depths, ascent/descent point etc.

Should I find myself in the Philippines, I will redo my AOW with you.

Sounds like a great course. My AOW was good, and thorough, but not like the way you describe yours.

Back
Top Bottom