Apeks' Freeflow Control Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has someone tried the Apeks' Freeflow controle device? After what happened this afternoon in my super 15 minutes-long dive, I might be interested in such gizmo.

Is it a gizmo or it's something that really works?

For the record, please state where you are going to put it, if you bought it.

I didn't bought it, just saw it on Apecks' website. I think I would put it on my main reg since it is the one most prone to freeze. and than, I would use the octo to make it safely to the surface.

If your free flow is occurring because there is a problem with the first stage (freeze flow, too high IP, ect.) and you have the device attached to your primary second stage then it won't do any good because the gas will just start flowing from your secondary (octo).

I know that. The gizmo will be useless if the problem is from the 1st stage. But if the freeflow is coming from the 2nd stage, that's where I would place it, on the main reg.

I know that. The gizmo will be useless if the problem is from the 1st stage. But if the freeflow is coming from the 2nd stage, that's where I would place it, on the main reg.

All freeflows show up as coming from a second stage, however in cold water (where you live) most are actually caused by ice in the first stage. The device you mentioned will not fix your problem, since as was mentioned, it would just cause your other second stage (octo or integrate inflator) to freeflow.

Even if you bought two of these and managed to turn off both second stages, it would just blow out a hose, since the LP hoses are not rated to handle tank pressure.

The real fix for your problem would be to buy a regulator that's rated for your diving conditions.

Terry

IMHO an H-valve set-up with two independent first-stages would be a much better way to go. Heck, even just practicing good buddy/team skills would be cheaper and better then relying on that "gizmo" if you're that concerned about a free-flow

That way, in the event of a free-flow, you can save your remaining gas by shutting down the valve to the flowing reg (provided you practiced valve shut down drills), and slowly surface with your buddy or dive team as back-up.

I don't really intend to buy the gizmo, I was just wondering. In my case, the freeflow was from the 2nd stage. We checked it and the lever was incased in ice. As for changing my reg, it what I did yesterday. I had to much problem with the SR1 since March when i bouht it. I now have a Apeks XTX50.

As for shutting down the valve, I'm not flexible enough to do it, maybe in a pool with just a swim suit, but not with a 14mm wet suit.

I read both this post and your other post.

I went through something very similar to this with a dive buddy, because of the way he layed on the inflator button to slow his descent while breathing -- as opposed to several short bursts between breaths -- his first stage froze up and started to freeflow. I agree with CMAN, in that instance no shutoff switch is going to solve the problem because both regulators were massively dumping air (and I mean just an incredible amount of bubbles). Shutting off one second stage in that case was only going to exacerbate the problem on the other second stage, and maybe the inflator as well. The underwater solution was to have him breathe off my primary and shut off his valve for a few minutes (though it seemed like hours) until the ambient water temps gradually thawed the first stage.

We both learned a lot that day including (in order): [1] use better cold water technique, [2] only use sealed diaphragm first stages in cold water, and [3] use doubles instead of single tanks, or at least two first stages per diver for cold water dives.

Scary stuff! I've always been an advocate of diving as a unit with your dive buddy, but that experience convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Glad everything worked out for you guys.

Back
Top Bottom