Question Apeks WTX-D40 BP&W harness cut by backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
E

egw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After only 45 dives I’ve noticed the SS backplate is cutting into the webbing on my harness in three spots. Both shoulder and one on the waist. Right side shoulder cut 1/4”. Anyone else experiencing this? The edges of the backplate are not rounded and I don’t see a way to prevent this from happening.

The edges of the backplate are not rounded and I don’t see a way to prevent this from happening.
Yep, Sean is right on the money, if something is flat and it needs to be rounded, round it.

Best part about a backplate is it can be customized, including softening the edges and radius of edges and cutouts. I might recommend starting with some strips of emory cloth rather than a file, though same idea. You could cut strips of emory cloth off a full sheet to various widths to get in the corner as needed, you could get them wet to help remove the stainless dust as you're sanding., You'll probably blow through cloth working with stainless, its a pretty hard material. I'd make 12"-14" inch strips about an inch wide and pull them back and forth over the edge of the top of the plate until its nice and contoured starting with like a 200 grit, working through grits to as high as you want to go for the desired gleam.

Maybe another thing worth considering - are you hanging weight pockets off the waist belt that aren't also bolted to the backplate? If you have trim pockets hanging unsupported off the waist belt, I could see that weight and friction causing some premature wear. Not much that can be done about the shoulder wear though other than softening up the radius of the top and cutouts and making sure there's no edges to wear on the harness.

On the shoulder straps - are you getting the wear where the harness goes through the slot back toward the rear, or where it comes over the top edge of the plate?

Yep, Sean is right on the money, if something is flat and it needs to be rounded, round it.

Best part about a backplate is it can be customized, including softening the edges and radius of edges and cutouts. I might recommend starting with some strips of emory cloth rather than a file, though same idea. You could cut strips of emory cloth off a full sheet to various widths to get in the corner as needed, you could get them wet to help remove the stainless dust as you're sanding., You'll probably blow through cloth working with stainless, its a pretty hard material. I'd make 12"-14" inch strips about an inch wide and pull them back and forth over the edge of the top of the plate until its nice and contoured starting with like a 200 grit, working through grits to as high as you want to go for the desired gleam.

Maybe another thing worth considering - are you hanging weight pockets off the waist belt that aren't also bolted to the backplate? If you have trim pockets hanging unsupported off the waist belt, I could see that weight and friction causing some premature wear. Not much that can be done about the shoulder wear though other than softening up the radius of the top and cutouts and making sure there's no edges to wear on the harness.

On the shoulder straps - are you getting the wear where the harness goes through the slot back toward the rear, or where it comes over the top edge of the plate?
I never thought of the ideas presented, but sound good. IF I had future problems with the plate…which I shouldn’t, but assuming me sanding the edges would void any warranty?

Regarding the cuts on the shoulder straps…where it comes over the top edge of the plate.

As far as weight I’ve either dove with just the plate or two pounds on each side secured to the waist harness using a product from Highlands which secures them with bungee chords.

Sounds like poor production. Why should you have to repair it yourself. Isn't there a warranty?
Agree in the design should be changed and edges rounded. My buddy has one from Dive Rite and all edges are rounded. They are going to replace the harness, but I can’t see the same thing not happening again.

I never thought of the ideas presented, but sound good. IF I had future problems with the plate…which I shouldn’t, but assuming me sanding the edges would void any warranty?

Regarding the cuts on the shoulder straps…where it comes over the top edge of the plate.

As far as weight I’ve either dove with just the plate or two pounds on each side secured to the waist harness using a product from Highlands which secures them with bungee chords.
Yeah, I am sure we are two totally different people when it comes to voiding warranties. IMO, a steel plate is a steel plate. It came out of the box designed for everybody, but you still have the opportunity to make it just right for you. Your customer no-service from Aqualung has "never heard of the problem", so how good is that warranty anyway? Again, I have to be careful to push my values like they are the norm though. After three dives on my shiny new xdeep ghost travel plate I already had it stripped down, shortened the tailbone to fit perfectly into an 17.5" bag, drilled new holes exactly where I wanted to mount the STA for better trim, fixed trim pockets directly to the plate behind the shoulders instead of the cam bands, switched from nylon to polyester strap webbing, and swapped out all the triglides - so definitely take my advice with more than a grain of salt. A good day voids at least two warranties before taking lunch.

If it were me I would totally replace the worn harness and while I had it apart I would round over the top edge of the plate to a perfect half circle radius and polish it to a sheen, and maybe mount the weights to the plate instead of the belt.

Weights mounted directly to a harness will cause some wear if transported with the weights hanging. Because of that, I prefer either a separate weight belt, or waist mounted pockets like these options that bolt to the back plate primarily and then just have the waist belt slide through:
Apeks SureLock™ Backplate Attachments + Apeks SureLock™ Weight System {20 lb | 9.1 kg}
But 2 pounds isn't much, I'm exactly the same - diving saltwater with 2 pounds behind each shoulder and two pounds on each hip and it really doesn't drag that much on the harness regardless regardless of the mount. I was just concerned you might be sitting there with 6 pounds swinging on each side of your waist belt, no amount of polishing would avoid premature wear.

I have the same issue. I’ve had my Apeks wing since at least the beginning of 2019 with probably at least 1,000 dives using it. The webbing is very thick and stiff so it can take some level off damage.

The friction that wears through the webbing should also round the edges of the backplate, so I’m expecting that the problem will sort itself out. I’m monitoring the webbing and will change it in due course, by which time I’m expecting the second webbing would last longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom