Apeks WTX harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rddvet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to buy the Apeks WTX harness and wing system. At the moment I only plan to dive singles, and usually Al80's. I'm buying the system because I plan to move to some form of tech diving eventually. Proabably cavern/cave. My LDS has highly recommended that I add the stainless steel backplate to the system as he feels as though it makes it nicer to carry less weight in either the surelock weight system or a weight belt.
This will be my first bp/w system, as I upgrade from an old scubapro stabilizing jacket style bc. One of my biggest concerns is buyoancy and balance. I know everyone I've talked to said that the move from a stabilizing jacket to a bp/w will be easy and freeing, and will improve my diving. I recently tried two bcs that were just standard front adjustable style bc's and hated them. I felt I was diving in a very feet high position, and it was very uncomfortable. It's what stimulated me to move to the apeks system. So after my rambling, my question is about the stainless steel backplate. I think taking weight off of the weight belt or surelock system is nice, but does it make a difference as far as balance and position? Will the placement of the weight over my back help to keep me in a more normal dive position I'm used to? Or is there really no difference with a bp/w system as far as how you sit in the water between having your weight partly distributed to the backplate as opposed to it all being in the weightbelt or surelok system? I'm just paranoid about having that unbalanced, feet high feeling I had in the front adjustable. In the front adjustable I also felt like I had too much lateral roll. Meaning if I looked back over my shoulder, I would very quickly roll onto my back.

If this is your first BP/W you will love the adj. that this system give you! Besure to get the single tank wing though. I've got this setup with the Surelock and SS BP and I love the way it sets in the water. Using a SS BP will help get into that dive position but so will an AL BP...one of the big reasons to use an SS BP is to drop 5lbs of lead and put it in a place that will help out vs up front or on the waist. Once you learn how to dive a BP/W correctly you will never look back!! This system will be with you for a very long time.

Your LDS is trying to rip you off.

The WTX harness is perfectly usable without the Stainless steel BP. Even when you need to dive twins you only need mounting plates rather than sliding the BP in.

The WTX harness can be used without the BP. It even has bands to pass the Cam Bands if you don't want to use a single tank adapter.

BTW I'm selling one gently used (6 dives)

Thanks all. I think my LDS is more trying to give me advice as far as what he likes personally. He did tell me that the backplate was not necessary because of the cam belts, but pointed out that he liked the weight off of the belt. I liek that idea too, but I've dove a weight belt for 15 years, and have never had integrated weights at all. This is my first BC purchase in 15 years, so I'm kind of excited to take off the weight belt, but honestly could go another 15 years with one if need be.
My biggest question is kind of what AZ hit on. How will I sit in the water with a stainless plate and surelok vs no plate(and either a weight belt or surelok)? Is there really any difference. I'm kind of suspecting that the SS plate on the back helps keep you in a perfect plane. When I was trying that horrible front adjustable BC, it seemed like my waist was my pivot point, pushing my feet above my head, and rolling me to the side.
I've thought about going straight bp/w with no vest like the wtx, but I think the wtx will be an easier transition for me because I'm so used to a regular bc.
I do like knowing that the bp is absolutely not necessary on the wtx, because it's damn expensive, and I may prefer having the surelok weights over the bp until I have a little more money. My biggest concern though is how where the weight is affects my position.
And seraph, thanks for the offer. A medium probably would've fit 5 years ago

Damn, at least I tried

I like BP/W setups.
I had the harness for a while but I went to simple webbing because it's much more streamlined, try it.
I had heard lots of divers saying that but I never really caught on til I tried it in water, I wear a drysuit so the vest clip at the chest was annoying and the weight pockets were kinda in the way. I prefer the simple webbing because it leaves your front free of clutter and useless "cra*".

The point of having more weight on your rig is not to totally remove your weight belt but to help you have less weight to carry on it.

Furthermore, I like the stability of the tank on your back with a backplate. It's there and not moving while if you use a vest, the vest is still fabric and it's flexible. With a BP and/or optional Single Tank Adapter your tank is solidly anchored. It doesn't move.

On a BC the tank will not "move" but it'll wobble on your back.

Also it's much more economical than a BCD (I find). A BP/W setup at divegearexpress.com is 350$ and you can make it yourself for cheap if you find a cheap used wing.

I use the WTX and for singles diving I just slipped in two stainless steel flat stock bars for the weight. Simple and I had the steel :wink:

I acutally have a stainless manufacturer around the corner from my office, and actually thought about walking by and buying a couple of flat pieces to slip in for the weight instead of buying am expensive plate.
So still the question looms, does the weight on the back make much of a difference in your profile when you dive.

I acutally have a stainless manufacturer around the corner from my office, and actually thought about walking by and buying a couple of flat pieces to slip in for the weight instead of buying am expensive plate.
So still the question looms, does the weight on the back make much of a difference in your profile when you dive.

Here's what I use and yes, having the weight on my back makes a difference.

DSC03116_Medium_.JPG

DSC03117_Medium_.JPG

Kinda what I was thinking. What do you have it wrapped in? Farily comfortable? I suspect you probably don't even feel it.

Back
Top Bottom